Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

is it illegal to damage something if I intend to buy it what would be the charge?

some stores offer discounts for dented cans so if I dent cans before buying it to get a discount, is it illegal? What if I accidentally drop a few. If it is an accident, I can not be charged

how will they be able to prove intent?

I am clumsy 

One time might be claimed as an "accident". The second one may be presumed to be willful damage. They are under no legal obligation to let you come back, if they suspect you are gaming their generous discount policy.

• shroud

yes it's illegal and they can check the cameras

Of course it is, it's fraud.

• audrey

Usually they'll just mark it as mos merchandise and make you buy an undented can at full price. They've seen that low down trick before.

• Maxi

Yes it is illegal, you are stealing

Until you physically make the purchase, the item is not your's, and so you are damaging the property of another person or business. People often expect that if they damage something in a business, the business should simply forgive them, but the reality is that the business has every right to hold you accountable for the damages.

So, in your scenario, let's say that you "accidentally" drop a can of corn. You bring it up front, explain the mistake, and offer to buy it at a discount. The store is well within their rights to decline and instead insist that you pay the full seventy-five cents or whatever a can of corn is worth. If you decline, they could then phone the police (although that would be hilarious).

Basically, intent or lack there of does not matter.

• Nuff Sed

As with any crime, "intent" does matter, as the prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant had the requisite criminal intent, even if it is only a "general intent" to commit fraud. In a civil suit, they would have to prove at least "negligence" as the intent.

The can wasnt the only thing dropped on its head, I see

• Petter

Yes, it's illegal. If you plan on accidentally dropping a few, it's no longer "accidental" now is it?

Keep denting the cans. The store may offer you a full discount.

That's a win win situation.