Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

is it illegal to damage something if I intend to buy it what would be the charge?

some stores offer discounts for dented cans so if I dent cans before buying it to get a discount, is it illegal? What if I accidentally drop a few. If it is an accident, I can not be charged

Update:

how will they be able to prove intent?

Update 2:

I am clumsy 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

One time might be claimed as an "accident". The second one may be presumed to be willful damage. They are under no legal obligation to let you come back, if they suspect you are gaming their generous discount policy.

• shroud
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yes it's illegal and they can check the cameras

• 4 weeks ago

Of course it is, it's fraud.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Usually they'll just mark it as mos merchandise and make you buy an undented can at full price. They've seen that low down trick before.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes it is illegal, you are stealing

• 4 weeks ago

Until you physically make the purchase, the item is not your's, and so you are damaging the property of another person or business. People often expect that if they damage something in a business, the business should simply forgive them, but the reality is that the business has every right to hold you accountable for the damages.

So, in your scenario, let's say that you "accidentally" drop a can of corn. You bring it up front, explain the mistake, and offer to buy it at a discount. The store is well within their rights to decline and instead insist that you pay the full seventy-five cents or whatever a can of corn is worth. If you decline, they could then phone the police (although that would be hilarious).

Basically, intent or lack there of does not matter.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

As with any crime, "intent" does matter, as the prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant had the requisite criminal intent, even if it is only a "general intent" to commit fraud. In a civil suit, they would have to prove at least "negligence" as the intent.

• 4 weeks ago

The can wasnt the only thing dropped on its head, I see

• Petter
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, it's illegal. If you plan on accidentally dropping a few, it's no longer "accidental" now is it?

• 4 weeks ago

Keep denting the cans. The store may offer you a full discount.

That's a win win situation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.