Velocity around the earth?

If I traveled around the earth and ended up in exactly the same place, is my velocity 0 regardless of speed? Since the displacement would be 0 metres

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

We have to be careful with terminology. We can say:

"The *average* velocity *relative to the earth* is zero."

Total displacement = 0 because start and end points are the same. And displacement = average velocity x time. So it's self-consistent.

• goring
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

if you sit on a spot on the earth spin of 24 hours later you are still in the same spot on the earth

Your velocity relative to the center of mass of the Galaxy would be approx 300 kilometers per seconds.

• 1 month ago

No, Velocity is speed and direction. It is a vector. Even though you ended up at the same location you still have speed and direction. ie Still going clockwise around the earth, as viewed from Atlanta, Ga., at 300 Mi/h.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you went AROUND the Earth, your displacement would NOT be zero. It would be the distance that you travelled. Now how much time did it take? Zero time?

Velocity is simply DISTANCE per TIME.

• Steve4Physics
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Displacement has magnitude equals to the distance between the start point (A) and the end point (B) no matter what route you take from A to B.

So if you go in a complete loop (any shape) and end up where you started from, the displacement is zero - even though the distance travelled is not zero.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, your average velocity is zero.

V = (change of position)/(change of time)

• 1 month ago

Well, yes. Once you stop your velocity is 0.

• 1 month ago

net velocity, sure. not true velocity. If I give you five dollars, and you then give me five dollars, the net change is 0. There was still giving and taking that happened though. The rate of exchange was 5 dollars per transaction. Total net transaction is 0.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don’t know about the math, but I am curious how the hell you traveled around the Earth so quickly.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.