Velocity around the earth?

If I traveled around the earth and ended up in exactly the same place, is my velocity 0 regardless of speed? Since the displacement would be 0 metres

We have to be careful with terminology. We can say:

"The *average* velocity *relative to the earth* is zero."

Total displacement = 0 because start and end points are the same. And displacement = average velocity x time. So it's self-consistent.

• goring

if you sit on a spot on the earth spin of 24 hours later you are still in the same spot on the earth

Your velocity relative to the center of mass of the Galaxy would be approx 300 kilometers per seconds.

No, Velocity is speed and direction. It is a vector. Even though you ended up at the same location you still have speed and direction. ie Still going clockwise around the earth, as viewed from Atlanta, Ga., at 300 Mi/h.

If you went AROUND the Earth, your displacement would NOT be zero. It would be the distance that you travelled. Now how much time did it take? Zero time?

Velocity is simply DISTANCE per TIME.

• Steve4Physics

Displacement has magnitude equals to the distance between the start point (A) and the end point (B) no matter what route you take from A to B.

So if you go in a complete loop (any shape) and end up where you started from, the displacement is zero - even though the distance travelled is not zero.

Yes, your average velocity is zero.

V = (change of position)/(change of time)

Well, yes. Once you stop your velocity is 0.

net velocity, sure. not true velocity. If I give you five dollars, and you then give me five dollars, the net change is 0. There was still giving and taking that happened though. The rate of exchange was 5 dollars per transaction. Total net transaction is 0.

I don’t know about the math, but I am curious how the hell you traveled around the Earth so quickly.