Which is better section 8 or low-rent housing? & which is quicker to get?

I am trying to move out from my abusive boyfriend and have an emergency letter from my therapist to help find a place to live I am also disabled but I am trying to see which housing is I should apply for because I only get a disability check every month so I’m trying to see if section 8 or low-rent house which one of those is the cheapest option and which one is the quickest to move into. I was also told its pretty hard to get section 8 is that true?

• Flower

Section 8 has long waiting lists and if you are single and no kids you go to the bottom. Contact an organization that represents the disabled and see how they can help. Call your county Housing Authority and ask them if they can help. There are programs in addition to Section 8. You can go to a shelter immediately.

• SimplytheFACTS

single disabled people (on ssdi/ssi) are a priority at least in some areas

A letter from your therapist will not help you get a place any faster. A letter from a therapist is irrelevant to housing unless you are submitting it as poof you need a reasonable accommodation.

Low income housing probably has a shorter waiting list than Section 8. Neither one is a quick option. Apply for both and see which one approves you 1st.

Which one is cheaper rally varies by location.

• R P

It will be faster to get qualified for an income-restricted apartment complex than it will to get a voucher from Section 8. However, for an income restricted complex, you still have to bring in enough money to cover the rent and your utilities.

Source(s): FL landlord

varies by area, some places you can't get on the wait list, some you will get a place within a couple years, others the wait is more than 10 years....

section 8 allows you to go to any landlord that accepts it. low rent is usually specific buildings. although in my area, they are incorporating 'affordable housing' into luxury buildings. There may be 100 over priced apartments and 5 set aside for people with low income.

I don't see how a therapists letter helps with housing.

have you contacted domestic violence orgs, they may be able to help...they know about things like housing assistance.

prices vary, section 8, you always pay 30% of your income. the cheapest affordable housing in my area is about 450 PLUS all utilities including heat and hot water (plus central AC is you use AC) if you need a car, they also charge 100/month for parking. the number of $450 units is extremely limited. and there are likely 100s of people applying for each unit.

the most viable option in my area for people with disabilities is senior housing. there is senior housing where you only pay 30% of your income in my area. some senior housing takes younger people with disabilities....the people I know that have gotten in waited 5 years.

is there any reason you can't get roommates?

Section 8 is better, but much harder to get (long waiting list to even be considered). Section 8 provides for larger renting options, where as low income rentals are typically specific to certain buildings that are generally less desirable.

• Maxi

It depends on what is available to you where you live and the only way to know is for you to make contract with section 8 and low rent housing and ask

Section 8 wait lists are generally several years long.

• VAA

Get into the low rent housing and then get on a Section 8 waiting list. Where I live it is years long, IF you can get on the list. Good luck

No way to say without knowing where you live.

In my city, the wait list for Section 8 is very long - months, not just weeks.