How difficult is it to replace a laptop screen wiring harness/cable on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop?

I just replaced the screen on this laptop because it was showing everything as faint black. I found out that the issue is the small bundle of cables going from the screen to the motherboard. When I wiggle these wires or barely touch them, the screen will either go faint black or start pulsing. Is it difficult to replace these cables/wiring harness?

• Dick

You should be able to find full instructions on the internet or on the Dell web site. Just search for the Maintenance & Repair Manual for that model of laptop. It is a complex job and it most probably involves a nearly full tear down of the laptop. The keyboard and the top side of the case have to be removed and the bezel around the screen would have to be removed also, to accommodate removing the display later. I'd recommend that you take pictures of exactly how the cables are installed before you even move them at all just so you get them back into place exactly the same. You most likely won't have to remove the motherboard since usually all the connections will be right on the top surface of it or along the edges. The display may need to be removed depending upon where the video cable attaches to it. Get that Maint/Repair manual from Dell. It's normally a free download. Don't let the job intimidate you, just take your time and follow the instruction step by step and put it back together after you replace the cable in that same step by step process. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Well first you need to get the ribbon cable. Then you have to remove the keyboard and thread it through the hole quite honestly you're looking at about a 40-minute job to unassemble it enough to put the ribbon Cable in