Ava asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 2 months ago

Is 8 miles a lot to walk?

I dont usually keep track of where how much I walk because i dont have a car so I walk a lot but the other day I decided to see how far i had walked and in total it was 8 miles? Is that a normal distance or is that far. IDK its seemed kinda high but then i thought maybe this is normal for other people

• Ron

8 miles is a long walk.  Walking speed is about 3 mph on flat ground.  That would be about three hours of walking. Does that sound right to you?  walking is good for you.  More people should do it.

I have hiked 13 miles at high altitude across rough terrain and that took about 15 hours with periodic stops.

About 4 hours at least fast paced. 

It's just putting one foot in front of the other. 

• Linda

That is a lot to walk these days. That's amazing!

• John P

It depends on how fit you are and on the sort of terrain over which you are walking (fairly flat countryside, steep hills, etc) and on how much of a day you want to spend on a walk.

Yours is really a social question rather than a geographical question.

• RR

It's more than average, unless you are a hiker.

I had a job where I had to walk a lot outside. It wasn't unusual to walk over ten miles.

normal pace at a fast walk is about 20 min per mile, perhaps a bit lower. So did you walk for over 2 hours ? 

It's a lot but I could do it easily when I was younger. Now, I can do about 6 max. 

Well, I have done it and a bit more, a hefty walk, may take about 2 hours.

Not urban sidewalk either, try the foothills in the wilderness.

My age now, I squeeze 2 miles and wears me out. Not as fast passed either.

i think its a lot, i couldnt do it

It is quite far, but if you are fit and Healthy and have a few hours to spare, with a nice area to walk around

It is good for you

Have something to eat first and keep hydraded though and you will be fine

Source(s): Sneakers O'Toole