Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

I just moved into a new apartment. Is this tile grout acceptable or should my complex clean this?

Here is a picture of the tile grout in my bathroom. I put in a request to have it checked out and after they checked it out they emailed me saying "Inspected tile Nd grout, normal wear, no issue." Should they clean this or is this something to accept?

• Best answer

They should clean it, but if they don’t you should pour some bleach on it to stop it from spreading

That IS NOT mold people it is just a lousy or old regrout job. Start scrubbing on it and it all falls out and then you will see a real mess. It needs to ALL be dug out and regrouted. Need to go talk to the manager and if possible get them to come look when you are home and try and find a solution.

• SimplytheFACTS

normal scrubbing won't hurt the grout as it would need to be scrubbed if it was mold or dirt...scrub it, if it doesn't clean, then its not dirty....

• GEEGEE

The time to get them to clean it better was before you moved in. They got their objective- tenants In the unit.

choose your battles....YOU CLEAN IT..and just pouring bleach won't help.....you need to SCRUB it with a hard brush

Why can't you clean the grout yourself? A bucket of soapy water, a scrub brush and some elbow grease should do the trick.

It is going to take you less time to clean the tile than to ask for them to do it. It will take you no more than 30 minutes. Wash down all the tile with floor detergent and a scrubbing brush to remove the surface dirt. Then use white vinegar to remove the limescale where you see it. Finally, bleach in a spray bottle left on for 10 minutes will get rid of the brown stain. Rinse.

Do this weekly.

• Just clean it with a nail brush and bleach.  You have to accept some responsibility in this life.

It looks like dark grout over a lighter grout, and sloppily done, but not dirty. Scraping it excessively will probably make it look worse. I once cleaned a spot on my floor so good that I made a hole in the floor. I thought something was on it, but it was just becoming worn and the layers(s) underneath were showing.

grout is infected and will spread

You accepted the unit. The apartment complex is not your cleaning service. You are welcome to clean it yourself.

ETA: "I just moved in two days ago and had no access to the unit until the lease was signed." What's your point? If they refused to show you the unit, you could have refused to sign the lease.

By the way, that looks like dark brown grout that is chipping off, not moldy grout.

ETA: "I signed on move in day" Ah-ha...now the truth comes out. What you should have done was inspected the unit before signing. If you wanted the grout cleaned, you get that written into the lease. Then you sign. It would have taken all of 10 minutes. But you didn't bother. You accepted the unit as-is without bothering to look at it. As someone else said, learn to take some responsibility.

ETA: "And if they said no to cleaning the grout what was I to do??? Live no where?" No. You probably would have signed the lease anyways being thankful you weren't homeless. And you wouldn't be here bitching about it here because you agreed to accept the unit as-is. And now we've come full circle back to my original answer.

Here it is again: "You accepted the unit. The apartment complex is not your cleaning service. You are welcome to clean it yourself."