none asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How to study with depression?

I don't want a basic answer of eating, meditating, sleeping and exercising bull. I need help now. Something has happened to me that changed my life. Everything feels so heavy to do. My body feels so numb and tingly. Iv been forcing to smile and laugh which is not me at all. I dont want to talk to anybody. I just want to sit on the couch and sleep or just sit. It feels so comfortable. I feel sleepy all the time and even the things I normally love doing, feels like a chore. I keep having negative thoughts racing in my head. I sometimes get this feeling Im looking through a window and cant control my body. I feel trapped in my own body. I have two exams comming up and Im here trying to do it. But its so hard to concentrate when my brain goes on a whole flashback or rant every 2 minutes. It feels so heavy to do it. Everything feels so heavy, I cant even keep my eyes open cus its so heavy. I need some strategy. I need to know what others did in times similar to mine. Im not talking about laziness or bad mood. Im talking about real depression. Yes, I am having suicidal thoughts. But they arnt very strong. so i think im ok for the time being. please help. tried meditation, works for 5min and goes back again. tried working out, i havnt been eating normally so im very weak, i pass out easily. i try to eat, force it in, feel like puking all the time. constantly short of breath all day. sleep alot. idk what to do. its my cry for help 

I forgot to mention that my body feels extremely numb and tingly constantly. so along with that, my emotions are very numb as well. i cant get mad or sad or happy. I have been this way since the change which was about almost 2 weeks ago. It didnt happen rapidly. it was a slow decline, I have now just noticed

I can tell you about behavior modification methods that have been shown to help people with motivation problems stemming from depression, but I can't guarantee that they'd be very useful for your case.

Behavioral approaches to depression are regarded as complementary treatments - things that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. They're not meant to be replacements for the standard treatments.

What you seem to be describing is a severe depression, in which case trying to get over your depression with self-help alone is extremely risky. If you haven't already, it's a very good idea for you to see the doctor, who can give you a physical and a referral, hopefully for a good psychiatrist.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower or outside for some fresh air, sunlight and exercise, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

If you're having trouble focusing in class, try practicing active listening - getting involved with the class instead of listening passively. Details about this in an excellent book - Complete Idiot's Guide to Study Skills.

Sometimes you can boost your grades by using better methods in studying for tests. People say these things help -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

My answers have advice from experts about depression treatments. Click and read.

Be sure you're eating right. Avoid junk.

• Byrd

Ok thanks for letting us know

• none1 month agoReport

your welcome. glad you got something out of it