Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 4 weeks ago

Can police arrest a person for a failed suicide attempt?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

No.....,..........

• 3 weeks ago

I don't think so, but at law, I think they'd just send them to a sort of rehab place.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Suicide is not illegal anywhere in the US. It is considered a medical issue, not a legal one.

If you are unsuccessful, you will be taken into protective custody and delivered to a secure mental health facility until the doctor determines you are no longer a danger to yourself. In my state, they can not hold you more than 72 hours without a court hearing.

For those that claim it is illegal. I challenge them to post a link to the law that prohibits it.

• Bruce
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I refer you to the question... "for those that claim it is illegal, I challenge them to post a link to the law that prohibits it". I don't see your link, nor will I. Because there is none.

• 3 weeks ago

No, not a good idea when they'd be able to kill themselves in prison. If you made an attempt and they think you were serious then they can have you put in hospital, rather refer you to the people who can arrange this.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Technically, it is a crime in EVERY US state.

Practically, they NEVER charge anyone with attempted suicide, but they do take you into custody for psychiatric evaluation.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i dont think so

• 4 weeks ago

suicide is illegal. Don't think they could get the death penalty for it, but maybe in some redneck state it's possible...

• 4 weeks ago

No, but they will try and get you some help.

• 4 weeks ago

No. They can only arrest you for a successful attempt.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, suicide is indeed illegal....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.