Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 3 weeks ago

Would you consider an owner who doesnt want to be in the room, when their pet is put to sleep a coward?

I saw a post on facebook that said when a pet is put down, the last thing they want to see before they pass on is their owners, and anyone who doesnt want to be in their room, when their pet is put to sleep is a heartless coward.

When one father of a family had to take the family dog for its final journey to the vet, the dog knew that something was very much the matter.  He could probably smell distress from the man.

To answer your question:  Each pet owner has to face that final question in his or her own way.  It's bad enough that the owner has the responsibility to ensure that their sick pet no longer has to suffer.  If the pet can be peacefully sedated, and the owner then leaves, it's still humane.  It's not the worst thing in the world.

When we were children, our elderly family cat escaped from the house somehow, and died outdoors.  He was later found under a neighbor's shrubs.  We were told that cats did everything possible to find a private place outdoors when they felt they were dying.  I still don't know whether to believe that or not.

No. Who wants to wait for the vet and then watch the vet end your beloved friend's life? That's horrible.

I had a cat put to sleep many years ago. I stepped out of the room until it was over, then I came back in the room to say goodbye. I couldn't face him knowing I had brought him here to die. He had no idea. He died thinking I was coming right back. I believe he is safe now and he forgives me.

No everyone reacts differently. If they love them for years that is what matters. They should say goodbye in that room though and then they can do what they need.

i dont think so, its probably real painful for them to see that

Think about the vet. Has your dog ever liked going there? Most dogs do not like it. Most of the time when the dog goes into the back room they get stuck with needles or something. It is scary. The last big of comfort you can give your pet is to hold them as they go to sleep as they will feel safe in your hands. It is not cowardice to not be there, it is just being selfish and some owners are very selfish.

No cowardice here. A pet which is still alert could be made even more distressed by seeing its owner looking sad, fearful and smelling of fear hormones. Stay in the room if you can hold it together, if not then trust the professionals to sedate and then euthanase.

When a pet gets to that point, I don't think it matters much anymore. I am always present for one main reason- euthanasia is elective, so it may be put off by staff while more urgent tasks are completed. I've seen suffering animals sitting around in cages for hours because, "Euthanasia is not an emergency." If I'm there, I know it will be done quickly.