Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 7 months ago

is sonic youth the poor man's velvet underground?

I know sonic youth is not relevant in the 21 century

• Kevin7

I would say no,they are not similiar.

• mars

No, I'd say that Pavement is the poor-mans Velvet Underground. Sonic Youth's influence is still relevant

• Huh?

No, they're the thinking man's Bon Jovi. The personnel of SY are still making top-notch albums; Kim Gordon's 'No Home Record', just released, is really very good.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/kim-gordon-no...

Sonic Youth is the thinking man's Pink Floyd.

• SH0891

No if anything Courtney Love’s band is a poor mans Sonic Youth.

• Lv 5

Even that is too much praise for Hole.

Nor is the VU for that matter. To the general public, at least.

I say, who gives a damn what's relevant to the general public. Lots of them like McDonald's and Toby Keith and driving Fords, and all of those things are crap. At any rate, I think I'll get some Sonic Youth and Joni Mitchell into the CD mix for the car in the near future...

No.

Christ your generation is f1cking stupid...

• Andrew

Claiming that a band is "overrated" or "underrated" or "a poor man's __________", is just a fallback tactic that people who don't have the knowledge and understanding of music to be able to create a valid argument or to accurately describe an artist, band, style or genre use because they don't have the means to express their opinions adequately. When a person doesn't understand something, they often try to compare it to something that's familiar to them. Obviously this doesn't work all the time, and it certainly doesn't work at all in this case. You don't "know" anything about the relevancy of any band - all you "know" is whether or not they're "relevant" to you, i.e.: they have either influenced the bands that you like or they haven't. There are few - if any, bands from that era that are still being talked about all the time, and Sonic Youth haven't cut a record in over a decade now.