Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

Will Trump bail on the debates next year?

Looks like he's already found a way out of them. One of Trump's surrogates, Hugh Hewitt, has suggested Trump “announce that if any debates will be held at all in 2020, it will be only after extensive, direct negotiations between him and the eventual nominee of the Democratic Party and their respective designated representatives.”

There was more to Hewitt’s plan. The negotiations “should begin from a premise that the Republicans will no longer play by the biased rules of a deeply unbalanced Manhattan-Beltway media elite,” he wrote. “Explicitly articulating the declaration of intent now, along with the possibility that, as in 1968 and 1972, there won’t be any debates, would do both the public and the elite media great service.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/15...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

He really doesn't have to participate in Republican debates. But I fully expect him in any general election debates.

• Jeff S
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

He'll declare a national emergency demanding his attention somewhere else! Hopefully Moscow begging for asylum!

Putin; "Donald who?"

• 4 weeks ago

Trump has probably caught-wind of the Democrats plan to refuse any offers to debate him at all. You can't debate a cheater who lies and will refuse to play by the rules. Trump is now spreading this new rumor to sow confusion for when the truth tries to emerge.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

only time will tell, we'll just have to wait and see

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Normally Trump would do very badly in debates.  Just for one thing, he is pathologically unable to stfu when it's someone else's turn to talk.

The Republican debates in 2016 were CENTERED around Trump.  He got to stand front and center, >1/2 of the questions were aimed directly at him, and he got to do most of the talking.  The one Republican debate he couldn't make it to was cancelled!

In the debates with Hilary he behaved in a way that would have gotten him thrown out of a serious debate.  (I was a debater in college.)  He interrupted her, spoke out of turn, and even followed her around on the stage like some demented predator.  He set a new record for debate failure, the previous record being Sarah Palin in 2008.

I think he'd be happy to just skip debates this time.  I wouldn't have anything to contribute anyway.  He'd MUCH RATHER be at one of his own events where he doesn't have to share the spotlight, and where he can just make sh*t up as he goes along.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They should fact check the debates in real time.

• 4 weeks ago

What is to debate? The Left's only position is "Republicans are racists!". How pathetic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.