Lili asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 4 weeks ago

Is it possible to calculate elastic limit?

I want to calculate the elastic limit for a spring and a rubber band. Is it possible to do that? Also can you please dumb it down for me. I'm kind of stupid. Thanks for your help.

You can measure it but you cannot calculate it.

For the spring the elastic limit is dependent on the exact composition of the metal. The number of turns and the diameter of the coil and any prestressing.

So many factors that you could not possibly know by observing the spring.

Then you need to determine what you mean by "the elastic limit".

To be precise is is the maximum amount of stretch that does not create a permanent deformation.

But a rubber band is quite inelastic. After you stretch it it takes TIME to return to its prior length. Did you exceed its elastic limit or not.

If that is not enough a DIFFERENT definition of elastic is that it returns the energy without loss.

Rubber is never elastic in this meaning of the term.

Sure : you need a dynamometer and a ruler !!!

You apply several forces F and measure the relevant elongations x : within the elasticity range the ratio F/x is constant

I would say so. Why not