Marissa asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

New dog keeps shoving his face into my other dogs face and tush. My dog doesn t like it and snaps.?

I have a border collie (9 yrs old) and have had her for almost 2 yrs. This week I just aquired a basset hound (2 yrs old).

My Border Collie is being dominate of her territory. The Basset house is not yet fixed and keeps shoving his face into the border collie s tush and face. My border collie will growl and snap to get him to back off. The basset house wants to play but the boundry issue is really annoying my dog. What can I do?

• TK

Correct his behavior, just like you will if he digs into the trash or chews the laundry.

• Jojo

Aside from keeping them apart......there is not much you can do. But if your BC is not spayed, there IS something you can do, and that is to get her spayed asap or at the very least, get the Basset castrated.

Its only natural that the female will snap at a male who sniffs at her and also a 9 year old dog will not want to play anything like as much as a 2 year old dog.

You have not had the Basset long and he will eventually learn not to keep hassling the Collie, unless she is not spayed and comes into heat, and then you will have big problems unless you take steps NOW to neuter (spay or castrate) one of them, preferably the female.

IF by chance you female IS already spayed, then allow her to tell the Basset off when he gets too invasive of her. He should eventually stop all that, as he gets used to living with a female dog. IF he persists in sniffing her back end, or tries to mount her, then have him castrated.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • Kenny

Say to your new dog "stop that you little basset" .