What is the meaning of John 14:5-11?

Ask that in Religion & Spirituality.

It depends on how you wish to interpret it, of course. I see it as a declaration that Jesus is acting the way that god wants people to act, and thus to know what god wants, you simply have to look at what Jesus does.

Some might take it to be a declaration of identity, that father is son and son is father. This leads (in part) to the idea of the trinity, but I have a fundamental philosophical difficulty in accepting that as the intended meaning. Jesus is not claiming godhead; he denies it elsewhere, and god claims himself to be the one and only and there is no other, so I reject the trinity. My interpretation of course.

The meaning is that Jesus is getting fed up with people asking him abstruse theological questions about his precise relationship with the so-called "Father," etc. At the very end of this passage he basically says, look, dude, I'm way more interested in you doing what you saw me do, which is helping the poor, feeding the hungry, healing the sick (which in our day translates into "supporting universal health insurance"), welcoming the stranger (or in our day, "not putting immigrant kids into concentration camp cages"), etc., than in trying to define exactly my relationship to God the Father. Jesus says the Father and I are on the same mission, doing the same thing, so just do it.

If you do want a good -- non-fundamentalist, non-judgmental, loving, helpful -- book about the Trinity, look at a couple of books by the contemporary monk Richard Rohr, "The Divine Dance" and "The Universal Christ." He's got a much better answer to this question that either I or John or some ranting evangelical "preacher" can give you. Give him a try.

The key to understanding these verses is in verse 10. He uses the word "union" but does not use the word "equal" or same. Jesus tended to teach in very specific terms especially to the apostles. Carefully consider the study information posted below.

• Well, the author(s) of "John" wrote in Greek, so they didn't use the words "union" or "equal."

• Kenny

John is the book in the bible . 14 is the chapter . 5 is the paragraph and 11 is the line .

• Kenny

I don't know, I would have to look it up .

The great thing about fiction is, you can decide what it means

A bible verse I think