Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 weeks ago

Can I still love an ex but want to be with/marry someone else? PLEASE ANSWER!! Help?

I dated this one guy for almost 3 years and we had been best friends for a few years before that and he even moved towns in order to be with me. However, the relationship became toxic and I had to eventually cut ties with him. It was very hard for me to do but I was tired of only being wanted when it was convenient for him and he would say do very rude and disrespectful things. Its almost a year later and I’ve met an amazing guy and have been dating him for almost 9 months. His across seas in the military so we can’t see each other too often but we FaceTime every day. We both love each other very much and I want to spend my life with him and he feels the same. He would marry me now if I let him but I always told myself I would earn my bachelors degree before getting married so we’re waiting. I still find myself thinking about my ex and missing having him in my life. I don’t ever want a romantic relationship with him again I don’t think we want the same things in life and I’m too afraid of getting hurt by him again. I’ve told him and my current boyfriend that I’ll always have love for him but I don’t want to be with him. I can’t help but feel guilty that I’m carrying this baggage into my current relationship bc he doesn’t deserve that. Is okay to miss and still have love for an ex even though I want to be with someone else? I feel conflicted about not hating my ex when I should after everything honestly. 

The last time my ex contacted me he asked for intimate pictures but I obviously declined and told him not to contact me. I've had him blocked now for a few months and haven't seen him in over a year. He is out of my life but he still haunts me.

Sorry I cant support any of this. I've lost a girl to marriage with another man. She knew him before me, but she had me going there for a second I seriously though I thought she would maybe get in a serious relationship with me.

"I don’t ever want a romantic relationship with him again"

Well, being that I am similar to this other guy, I must add my 2 cents in saying that that is just too f1cking bad that you dont ever want a romantic relationship with this other guy again.

What about sex, is that off the table?

Source(s): nothing

Maybe you can do this: cut off the ex completely, block all his phone numbers, emails and social media and never look at his pages ever again.