Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

Which Romance language  should I  learn?

Out of Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Italian which language do you think would be best? I live in the U.S. and I’m curious to know which Romance language is your favorite? 

Romanian looks cool because it has Slavic influence, and since it has evolved relatively isolated from other Romance languages, it has retained some unique grammar features and Latin words. That said, I think it isn't much useful in the U.S. (although the same can be said about any language aside from English and perhaps Spanish in certain States).

There are many, many Romance languages. But I’d recommend Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, or Romanian. I’m learning French and Romanian currently and I already have some decent Italian under my belt. It’s only takes around 600 hours of practice to become conversational in the Romance or Germanic languages which sounds like a lot but is significantly less compared to the Slavic or non-Indo European languages.

Only the one YOU have an interest for and / or the use YOU need. No matter what we think about it.

My favourite is Spanish and if I ever was to go to Brazil I would use it even though I only understand written Portuguese.French might be a little easier but it is not as much used as Spanish.French as far as I know is the 11th. most spoken language in the world.

• Zirp

"which Romance language is your favorite?"

Questions about the answerer are not allowed here.

Since Spanish and French are widely taught in the USA, I'd recommend Portuguese or maybe Italian. The road less travelled.....

Although learning a smaller one like Romanian or Catalan would set you apart even more..

• Lôn

In my opinion Portuguese is the nicest.

Gosto muito da língua portuguesa, é muito linda.

I like speaking Portuguese with locals when I go there on holiday.

• John P

Depending on where in the USA you live, Spanish might be the most useful. French would obviously be useful in France and in those parts of Africa which were colonies of France, maybe even in Vietnam and Cambodia, which had been French colonies until the 1950s.

At school in Britain in the 1950s I learned French (and later Latin, then German) - French was the usual first choice in Britain in those times, but not so much these days, it is far more wide-open - possibly Spanish or an Asian language.

At the age of 69 I started to learn Spanish because my son lives and works in Spain, and I have progressed somewhat, though not as far as I got in French and German at school.

Possibly Spanish is easier than French in the early stages, but it depends on the individual student.

Whichever you study, keep an open mind. "Word for word" translation seldom works for more than three words in a row. In Spanish, to make a question or statement negative, simply add "No" at the start of the sentence! And Spanish is the only European language which pronounces "ch" exactly as in English - e.g. "church", "mucho" (moo-choh).

I have learnt French as it is useful for visiting France. The French don't like to speak English and generally pretend they don't understand it, and refuse any attempt at communication. The Spanish are happy to speak English and make efforts at communication. Although I've still done basic Spanish as I prefer to visit the mountains where there are fewer English speakers.

But it may be better for you to learn Spanish as it is a simpler language and there are lots of Spanish speakers in the US to practice with and buy books etc. It would also be useful for visiting South America.

Unless you live near Quebec and like to visit Canada!

I have no favorite but I took 5 years of French and I regret that I didn't take Spanish. I would have had much more use for that than French which I have had very little use for. It is a matter of practicality. My advice is to take Spanish.

italian or french