How long can I keep soy chorizo in the refrigerator? (Freeze by date on package is several months away.)?

I recently bought some soy chorizo. I have never cooked with it before. On the package it says that it should be frozen, if not used by January 2020. I just want to make sure that I do not let it rot, if I misinterpret the information. It is ok to leave in the refrigerator until January?

Thank you!

Unopened you can leave it in the refrigerator until January 2020

Chances are it will be just fine for quite a while after that anyway.

If you really do not plan on using it until after January I would just pop it in the freezer now. If you do not plan on using the entire sausage all at the same time I would portion it before freezing.

once you open the package, the freeze or use by date doesn't apply because you have now introduced bacteria from the air, the utensil you used to cut open the package, etc.

Once opened, portion what you didn't use and freeze that.

Well, if that's what it says on the packaging, that's what you should be able to do.

Out of interest though, why would you want ro keep it until next year? Why did you buy it if you're not going to use it soon?

• Kendall3 weeks agoReport

I just bought it, but just wanted to know if I could leave it in the refrigerator, for a few days. I wasn't actually going to wait for several months to use it.

Soy chorizo is gross and nasty. You couldn't tell if it is spoiled or not.