Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

If a student confides that they were sexually abused by family members as a child, do you keep it confidential if they're an adult now?

A student came to talk to me about their university experience and confided a few things in me as she was having a difficult time. Should I keep our conversation confidential as she wanted?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Oh you're back, are you?

• Lita
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Really? First it was an eating disorder now it's sexual abuse? Get help for your fetish.

• G R
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yes you should respect her privacy. You aren't going to gain anything or help her by betraying her confidence. She is an adult now she will deal with it the best way for her.

• 4 weeks ago

If you were a real teacher, you would already know the answer to this question! You're a mandated reporter!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

i would keep it confidential

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you were really an instructor, you would know better. You have trolled this, before.

• `
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You certainly have quite a few students who confide to you. This story is really getting old.

• 4 weeks ago

You should ask for professional advice. This does not sound like an easy to answer case. Yes, you don't have to report historic abuse (and you should respect the student's confidence) - but if there are currently minors in danger then you yourself could be breaking the law by not reporting it.

• Fantom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As explained to you before, it is your responsibility to violate student confidentiality, and broadcast this information to anyone who will listen.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Of course, you should. Shame on you for even thinking about being a blabbermouth.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.