Despite free speech legally (mostly anyway), what’s the best question to ask to figure out the central civil censorship is in any situation?

Perhaps “are you willing to change your mind?”

I don't know that there is a "central civil" censorship.  That sounds like a government policy.  The current censorship, in the US anyway, is not official, or central.  It's a political thing, brought by special interest groups trying for attention and power by affecting Oh Such Offense at certain words that have been around for hundreds of years and bullying the rest of us into "not offending them".  It's a crock.  In this country you are supposed to able to say whatever you want, other than certain sensible exceptions, like causing a false panic in a public place or impersonating a police officer.

• Sharon

find out the interests of those who control the government, what they are sensitive about is what is censored.

• P

Perhaps. Or maybe "Can I see my records""