Why isn't sleeping gas used in critical hostage negations?

I'm just thinking swat team goes in and just gas em, sounds harsh but not talking about nerve gas here.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

My wife always has sleeping gas. It wakes me up from the next room.

• rick
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Cops like to kill. Gas isn't lethal enough for them. It doesn't make those satisfying loud explosions they like, either.

• Tangi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because that would be at best inefficient and more probably dangerous for the hostages.

Anaesthetics have to be administered according to the person's weight and physical condition.

Unless the hostage taker is smaller and physically weaker than all of the hostages (and this is rarely ever the case), you will need to overdose at least some of the hostages in order to take the hostage taker down.

But there's worse. the effects are not immediate, and the hostage taker(s) would realize they're being gassed waaay before they start sleeping. In an hostage situation, that's the last thing you want to do, because that's the best way to make them execute people out of panic.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Wow. You must have gotten that from an early Batman film. Will wonders never cease.

• liam4 weeks agoReport

There's no such thing as a stupid question. I asked why don't life jackets have GPS in them and the answer was very shocking

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because the wind and oxygen would render it useless.

• 4 weeks ago

The Russians tried that and ended up killing a lot of the hostages as well as the captors. It isn't a good idea to administer any kind of general anaesthetic without close attention from an anaesthesiologist unless you actually intend to kill people, and even then it isn't a reliable way of killing people. There are also all the in-between states as well, so there would be a risk of permanent brain injury. It would be like giving a lot of people strokes, killing some of them and letting some of the perpetrators come round and carry on doing the harm they were doing before.

• susan
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Generally, a government body gassing their own citizens is not a good look.

• 4 weeks ago

It would take a huge amount. In a hospital you have a mask. They do not fill the room.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.