What should I do about my major?

Hi all. I am in my junior year of college and am facing a big decision that I just don't know the right answer to. At the moment I have an Environmental Geo-science major, and to be honest, I hate it. I have always wanted to pursue elementary teaching, but my parents have made threats and decided that this was a better fit for me. When I sat down and thought about my predicament, and all of the future years I would have to work in this field I knew that it just isn't for me. Unfortunately, when confronting my parents again they were "disgusted" with my job choice, and gave me the options of majoring in Anthropology, Political Science, keeping my major, or pursuing a degree in practicing law. I really don't know what to do. I care so much for them and I hate making them disappointed, but I can't see myself keeping my major. Any advice on what I should do?

You MUST go with your talents, interests, abilities, skills, personality & character traits, etc. You cannot be successful - or happy - trying to force yourself into some field you are not suited for. Switch your major to elementary education, if you know that's right for you.

Don't discuss it, just do it. You are an adult, and you MUST choose for yourself.

• juliet

I’m disgusted with your parents. They can not determine your life path for you. When they die, you’re supposed to just be stuck doing a job you hate? That’s wrong.

What kind of parent encourages an anthropology degree? What do they even want from you?

I would change your major, and support yourself. It’s much better than being controlled by psychos.

• John

My wife knew a woman at work who is now retired. When she was in her early 20s, the friend met a nice man who eventually asked her to marry him. She said yes, but her father objected. The reason was because one of them was Jewish, and the other Italian. Her father said he would disown her if she married that person. Deciding to keep a good relationship with her father, she broke off the engagement. She never married.

Don't make a similar mistake.

Change to the major that you want to pursue. Forget anthropology -- there are very few jobs and they will require graduate degrees. If you become a teacher and can get your students excited about science, you'll be doing more for the world than most anthropologists or lawyers do.

• MS

You need to take care of yourself and do what will make you happy and successful. Is there a reason you are so concerned with what they think? Are they paying your way? Will they refuse to pay if they don't approve of your major? I understand that there can be some practical issues at play. But you don't want to be stuck in a major and then a career that you really hate. I would see if you can talk to an advisor at your school to help you consider some options that you would enjoy and maybe even would meet your parents' standards if that is something that is important or necessary for you.

• ibu guru

Of course your family means a lot to you. But living with resentment for coercing you do what is not right for you will definitely ruin that relationship. They aren't paying the freight, they have NO control over you. You do not even owe them an explanation.

i think you should do what you want, its your life

It's your life - if they want a practicing lawyer or Geo-scientist in the family, your father or mother could retrain and change careers to fulfill these wishes