Does a senior adult male, say 80, ever realize or change or grow out of narcissium?

It is said that it is much harder for an older person to change their ways and I somewhat understand why. A lot of people are reluctant to learn new things in their youth and that does get harder with age. Older people tend to lose patience and become more set in their ways. The interesting thing though is that my father is in his 80's and I am nearing 60, where I am a bit of a tech geek vs. my father who is not. Part of my father's reluctance to learning anything new is he feels certain that he will just forget it by the time I walk out the door. It is true that our memories aren't as good as in our youth. While I have my on reluctance, because I grew up a tech geek, I am not having nearly the problems of my aging parents and will most likely be much better off by the time I am their age, yet I can see how old age is affecting me where I find myself more reluctant in some ways than my younger children. So even though there is a reluctance to change, it sort of depends on how much you know by the time that you get up in years.

'narcissism' is not an issue with just the elderly. And to overcome it is a matter of changing the heart not the head. So therefore anyone could overcome but it isn't an easy task.

• Janet

If they haven't changed by then, they are NOT going to change.

Maybe not in this life but when they meet their Creator they will definitely realize their error. 

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)

I suppose they could, but doubt most would. I was raised to be racist growing up and have fought to NOT be racist the rest of my life. I'm now 80 and still try to look at thing objectively, but in some instances I still fall short. All I can say is try to look at any issue before you and realize that most are like the coin. No matter how thin a coin gets, it will always have two sides. Same with most arguments. However, narcissism spelled correctly, is a mental problem that may only be addressed by a phycologist or a psychiatrist.

• lbh8 months agoReport

At least you acknowledge your problem

• Jojo

If a male has been a narcissist all his life, that is part of his genetic make-up and its very doubtful he is going to change his outlook in old age, even if he realises what he is like.

Genetics cannot be altered and a persons true character will always shine through eventually, no matter how much they try and hide it.

To elin: I certainly do not know enough about all adult males but hoped you would have just responded as one.

i would hope they do

What even is this question? Are you implying that every senior male is narcissistic or are you referring to one specific person?