Did the Affordable Healthcare Act help you or your family?

Just wondering what people think of this law after there have been a few years to let it run its course. (I am trying to be apolitical lets see how long that last for.)

Yes, I have better coverage now.

Yes, it absolutely did.

• Lili

Yes. I have a relative with a pre-existing condition who was able to get insurance despite that problem, and another who benefited from the mandated mental health coverage. Her share of the bills was very low.

It hurt us. Due to the ever-higher costs of premiums, we were forced to choose between keeping the same level of coverage we had and dropping down to basic coverage. Even with the lesser coverage, which has meant higher co-pays, our premium for this basic coverage stand at 300% of what they were in 2010 for the higher level plan we had at the time. If we still had the same level plan as in 2010, the premium would be 600% of the 2010 cost.

And along with this has come a steady revolving door of doctors and nurse practitioners who have come and gone. You can keep your doctors if you like them, my hind end. Obamacare and its rules caused this.

I retired in 2012, and COBRA ended in 2014. We could have continued retiree medical, but the ACA insurance was much cheaper. Today, insurance through my old company would be about $3000 for the two of us, and Kaiser HMO bought through the Covered California Exchange is almost exactly half that. Pre-subsity, that is. In the years when our income has been less than 4x the poverty line, it was even cheaper.

Note that we are quite healthy, so NEVER make the yearly deductible. That could change with a single hospital visit or chronic disease like cancer or heart trouble. So for now, all we need is catastrophic insurnce, and $1500 for ACA is better than $3000 private per month. At least until we reach Medicare age.

• Sally

Here's the thing you forgot, though: Republicans have whittled away at the law so it is even less effective than it was when passed. So a lot of the benefits have been removed by them on purpose.

• Bruce

It seems to be beneficial to low income families. When I applied, it was $1,700 per month with a $12,000 deductible. 

No. It took money away from me and my family.

Helped a very conservative "Obama will ruin this nation if elected" neighbor. He and his wife didn't have insurance and because of a knee injury, she had to sleep downstairs, never going upstairs for a decade. Oh, but once Obamacare was law, guess who signed up and had surgery on her knee. That's right, you guessed it. Not only that, they get subsidies paying for almost all the premiums. No more "We'll wait another 11 years until Medicare kicks in." Now she walks normally.

Yes it has helped a great deal. I have a son who is an adult and disabled. He finally has health insurance and it has been a life changer. He is finally able to get the treatment and medicine he needs.