Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 months ago

Do you take it personally when a tenant does thing to destroy your property?

I know I shouldn't but I do. I've been way too nice & feel like I've been slapped in the face for being nice. Rarely have I raised the rent on a guy who has rented from me for 14 years. While he's out of town I'm having work done, and am shocked to see how he planted a huge cactus that's tearing up the patio. He's been aware of this as the worker working there now informed me. Did he do anything about it? NO, he left it growing & causing more damage. I've never raised his extremely low security deposit, because I wasn't aware of this. I've seen inside & it's always looked good. He also planted a jasmine that he took & decided to wrap up around the archway to dirty up the stucco. I shouldn't be so sensitive I know, but I would think when a landlord has been so nice they would be treated nicely. I'm not going to be so nice anymore. I think I might hire a property manager because I'm at the point of not wanting to deal with tenants. I need the income really badly from the rents so selling is for sure out of the question.

• R P

I understand why you feel the way you do because I was "there" early on in my landlording career. Your problem is that you are emotionally attached to the house - once you get past that, you won't take things so personally.

Source(s): FL landlord

Get your filthy nose away from his house, it's his if he pays rent. You didn't put the rent up much? That's you. If he doesn't repair any damage before he moves out, then you can moan.

He's a tenant for gods sake, that's what they do, perhaps not worthy of owning there own property, hence they use yours. Trying to make it look better with plants sounds like it's one of those ghetto rentals with no landscaping. I find it hard to believe a cactus could uproot a patio, really? He keeps the inside nice? you should be happy he hasn't horded the inside to destruction. Landlords in general take up all the housing, in reality you should sell the ghetto shack back to the market to someone that wants to own their own home; but you won't, so continue on with being a landlord and deal with it. Those gripes sound like really small potatoes, especially considering all the money he's given you throughout your life. Skip the management company, raise the rents, hope for someone better and be the slum lord you claim to be.

• G R

Take action YES, personally no.

Do not take anything a tenant does personally. This is a business relationship not a personal one.

They cause damage then you charge them for it. Pretty simple.

I'm not sure why you take someone's bad decision as a personal attack. So he didn't notice the cactus causing problems until he though it was too late. Damage is done. Why rip it out now. Just deal with all of it when he moves. You have the right to have it fixed now so do so if you like and charge him. End of story.

• Maxi

I could take it personally so I have a managing agent who deals with property/tenants and I remind myself landlord/tenant is ONLY a business relationship, not a friendship and have a good contract... you have to be aware other people do not live as you do, they have other priorities than you and if that is all the tenant has done then you are lucky and they have not set out to damage your property, careless/thoughtless maybe but not deliberate damage.

He isn't intentionally destroying your property...if that's what you think...I have some serious stories to tell you. How about a tenant ripping a sink away from the wall, causing water damage to other units...that's destruction... That one also admitted to the cops that he was on drugs...

This tenant tried to clean the place up and make it his own, adding some plants. The fact that the cactus is causing problems likely wasn't their intention...though they are responsible for the damage. I wouldn't take this stuff personally at all.