Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 7 months ago

Is "indiscernible difference" a phrase often used by native speakers?

If not, what phrase is often used instead?

No, it is not. What a mouthful. Native speakers would be more blunt and simply say "No difference". "Indiscernible difference" is meaningless drivel.

• John P

No, in 70 years in Britain and Australia I have never come across "indiscernible difference". But "discernible difference" is in occasional use, meaning not a huge difference, but one which can be noted.

Something almost makes no difference.

As has been noted, "indiscernible" is not a synonym for "little." I think "unnoticeable" and "undetectable" are used more often that "indiscernible."

• RP

I don't think so. One would be no significant difference.

No. I would say "little difference" instead. 2 syllables instead of 5.

• Nancy

"Often," no. But if there's a difference but nobody can tell the difference and one wanted an adjective to put before "difference" to describe that situation, then "indiscernible" is the adjective one would probably use.

I mean, you could use familiar phrasings like "little difference" (It makes little difference.), "insignificant difference" (It's an insignificant difference.), or "negligible difference" (It's a negligible difference. -- The difference is negligible.), but those don't quite mean the same thing because they don't actually say that one can't tell the difference, only that it's small, meaningless, or able to be overlooked, respectively.