Good Universities in Canada?

I'm a 19 year old that lives in northern USA. I'm starting to weigh my options for college (A bit late, I know) and I thought that the only options that i would have at this point were small, local colleges since I didn't do so hot during my last two years of high school.. I want to become a surgeon so my plan was to get a bachelors degree in my home town or the neighboring one and then transfer to the UofM to get my graduate degree. I was doing some thinking last night, and the idea popped into my head to move to Canada. I've heard all of the talk about moving to Canada if Trump got reelected, but that definitely wouldn't be my deciding factor. My question is, would it be possible for me to get into a nice college like McGill or the University of Toronto? If not, what would be some options that are comparable to Tech or State schools in the USA? I got something like a 3.0 to a 3.2 GPA.

I'm also curious as to how health care works for an American with a Canadian visa. Could I get anything comparable to Medicare in America? Would i have to pay partially out of pocket?

The Universities you can try are

Jacksonville State University

Tuskegee University

Faulkner Admission

Oakwood University

University of North Alabama

Alabama State University

• John

I'm afraid your plan is not a good one. Both McGill and Toronto are highly ranked schools internationally. Your assumption that they are easier academically because they are not in the US is incorrect.

I would recommend that you start out at the best college you can get into. That would probably be a small to medium size 4 year school. Get the best grades you can, and later transfer to a larger university.

If your grades weren't very good your last two years in high school, then you may not have the self-discipline or study skills to do well in college, either. But once you get to college, you start with a clean slate. So go to the best American state university you can get into (preferably one in your own state because it's cheaper), work yourself ragged getting the grades you need for medical school and then you can get into a med school in the States. If you really want to be a doctor, don't let yourself get distracted by the social life and drinking in college.

You probably don't have the marks for U of T or Mcgill. If you can get accepted anywhere, for next year, you will pay international fees, about twice what a local would pay.

(Locals are subsidised.)

There are community colleges with the same international fee schedule.

McGill & U Toronto are the "Harvard & Yale of Canada." If you cannot get into Harvard or Yale, forget the most prestigious universities in Canada. You cannot "move" there anyway! Student visas are temporary non-immigration visas & you will not remain in any foreign country where you go to school. You are required to return to your country immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies.

Your GPA is very poor to try to get into premed program at any university. What were your grades in high school for biology, chemistry, phyics, and math (through pre-calc at least)? If not straight-A grades in sciences, excellent lab skills, you likely are not cut out for premed and medical school. You need to look at alternatives in the health care professions - IF you did well in sciences & math. If not, you're dealing with very unrealistic expectations.

My thought is: start with a community college, get excellent grades in the CC, then transfer to a reasonably good US university based on your CC grades. Then when you graduate from the university, go on to MD school.

You'll not get into a "good" university in Canada or the US with not "so hot" grades out of HS. But most community colleges will admit you and there you can prove your academic worth with good grades from the CC.