Why don't I have video after replacing my 1366x768 screen to a 1920x1080 screen?

I replaced the 1366x768 screen on my Dell E6530 with a new 1920x1080 screen.

Now only the backlight turns on when I boot my laptop. The Dell logo does not appear.

Can this be fixed?

Thank You!

in most cases you cannot fit a different sized lcd to a laptop unless the connections are the same and just because the connector FITS does not mean the wires are pin for pin wired up how they need to be.However I did do a similar thing once to a 15inch dell xps laptop accidentally fitting the same sized lcd you are to replace the same sized lcd as you did and it did work. you can still connect an external projector/screen and see whats actually on the display. It is a general rule that an lcd display only works at its ONE NATIVE screen size. The slight exception to that is software that can miss out pixels or add some in to allow some display size variations. Thus a 1366x768 screen of pixels cannot necessarily fill a 1920x1080 screen to the point where it could show you a display. so you need to DELETE the SCREEN in the DEVICE MANAGER and either manually set it to 1920x1080 or let it detect it. Also be aware that the display has a min brightness and max brightness setting in the bios and there may be an ambient light sensor input too. you might need to CLEAR the cmos settings and LOAD defaults and save them before it sorts itself out. You might also need to allocate more system RAM to the GPU to hold the extra pixels. In case you had already reduced that.

• P

Unfortunately upgrading laptops in such a manner is a total gamble on if it's going to work or not.  It's not like a desktop monitor.  You also have to match the LCD's controller to the respective monitor too and if it's integrated into the motherboard you may be out of luck. 

You did it wrong, obviously. Or the part you used was obviously not compatible with the laptop. Check for loose cables, and try using an external monitor to see if you've fried the laptop.

• Loser3 weeks agoReport

That you're refusing to test using an external monitor (which is ALWAYS the first check to see if something else is wrong) shows you have no experience doing this and probably screwed something up.