If I purchase a smart phone do I need to have a sim card?

If you get one through a carrier you automatically have one to the carrier you get if through.

If you get one unlocked it won't come with a sim card and would be more expensive since you are paying the phone up front. With this option you would have to buy your own sim card and Wal-Mart and other retailers typically has them.

Can you not buy a SIM Card separately where you are located?

.....................

Without a sim card, it will not be able to access cellular data; phone calls will be impossible, texting would only be possible on Wi-Fi, and anything else you might use cellular would be locked behind the cage of big cellular.

If you are buying from a provider, you may receive the phone with a sim card already set up and inserted. If you buy the phone independently of a provider, you have to set up a cellular plan and insert the sim card yourself.

May le fource be with vous.

asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf

If you're going to be making calls and sending texts, then the answer is yes. Most smartphones are included with the provider's SIM card (preinstalled in a majority of them).

It's a smartphone, not a miracle phone.  If you want to use it as a phone and not just as a tablet then you'll need a SIM card!

If you want to make calls then. I used my Moto X without sim for years . I used it as a gaming device. You just need WiFi to download apps .

you need to ask the place you purchased it from this question

Yes, always. You always need a sim card. The phone won't turn on without one. Some phones will even internally combust if you try to press the power button without a sim card inserted.