Renrut asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

how do you know how much to feed a dog, general guide line would be nice?

• Sky

A combination of reading the package and listening to vet recommendations.  When I had dogs in the roughly 60 pound range (and the vet always said they were at an excellent weight), I gave them each 1 cup of food 3 times a day, plus some treats here and there.  I recommend a low fat dog food, something like a weight management variety.

I leave dog food out 24/7 for my 2 dogs and they decide when to eat and how much. I have no issues with them being overweight, they don't get frantic as they know food is available any time. I've had dogs for 40+ years and have fed all of them this way.

Once they realize that they can eat any time they want to, they no longer worry or fret about feeding.

• "How do you know how much to feed a dog, general guide line would be nice?"

You have wasted 10 points by asking this question TWICE without supplying ANY useful information. To ADD the information:

1: Click the [Edit] under your question, then

2: click the [Add Update] that will appear,

3: type the missing information into the new area that appears.

4: Check & correct it before clicking the [Submit].

We need to be told the AGE and BREED (or breeds in the mix), COAT length and GENDER of your pet, HOW LONG you've had him/her, and what TASKS you want him/her to perform for you when he/she is trained and an adult.

You ask how 🚥I🚥 know how much to feed MY dogs. As I was 9 when I was given my first pup (it died before the Distemper vaccination was available) and 10 when I was given my second pup - both probably 6-to-9 weeks old, I relied on my mother to provide the food (we lived on the far side of a mountain 40 miles from the nearest city) and to suggest how much and how often I feed him. It worked.

Presumably you did NOT go to a dedicated breeder. If you had, you would have been supplied with a Diet Sheet - possibly also enough food (of the sort the pup has been getting so far) to last Pup a week, so that the change of diet as well as the change of humans doesn't stress Pup so much that it gets diarrhoea. If you CAN contact the breeder today, DO so.

Otherwise, click:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

and send an e-mail to the SUBSCRIBE address (it is free - no fees) and, as soon as you get the message welcoming you to that group, read the group's advice then click:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/c...

Basically, you must "feed by eye", assessing the dog's appetite, energy, enthusiasm -

PLUS periodically check how easy or hard it is to SEE where each rib is (if the coat is ultra short, like a Dobermann's or Labrador's); or FEEL where each rib is (if medium, like a Spaniel's, or luxurious like a Rough Collie's). Are you starting to see why we NEED to know the BREED and type of COAT and other specific DETAILS before we can give you USEFUL and RELEVANT advice & suggestions.

There aren't many KNOWLEDGEABLE "doggy people" who would advise you to ask a vet for feeding advice - vets do almost NO training on feeding, and have a vested interest in selling the various kibbles that they stock. But vets SHOULD be used for health-checks and vaccinations.

Dogs evolved to thrive on raw animal proteins. If you MUST include kibbles, feed the 2 types (animal proteins versus plant proteins) of food at least 4 hours apart.

I hope you'll supply the missing information within 24 hours.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

My basset hound puppy goes dumpster diving. So I wouldn't know. 

• TK

Read the package of food you buy. It will have a feeding guideline.

You have there right with you or right beside you. Look on the dog food bag/box & follow the instructions. Weigh your dog & follow the chart. Sorry, I cannot be there to read it to you.

i would ask the vet about it or a petstore or someone who already has a dog

• *****

If you're feeding a commercial dog food, general guidelines will be found on the packaging. The amount should be adjusted as needed for the dog to maintain a healthy weight. I've had dogs that needed half the recommended amount and those that needed a bit more than the recommended amount, and everywhere between.

Different foods will have different calorie densities, and different individual animals have different calorie needs based on their size, activity level, and individual metabolic rate. There is no general guide that works for all foods and all dogs.

• Danny

Depends on the size of the dog, larger dogs need more feeding daily than smaller dogs.

• Nancy

By taking your dog to the vet to make sure he's healthy and asking the vet what and how much you should be feeding him.