Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Are people here aware that they are breaking the law by telling people with mental health issues to kill themselves? ?

So someone is feeling low and suicidal. Your reply is "why don't you kill yourself". If that person takes your advice and does it well.

Why do people online think it's acceptable to do this to others? 

• Marc

This is one of the problems with social media/internet. People say things that they would never say in person. There is complete disconnect with humanity. People dont think that there is a living/breathing person on the other side of the screen. All it is is words on a screen. People need more time interacting with other people and less time online

• Marc

Ok little boy. Go back to playing fortnight on xbox.

I have only SUGGESTING IT TO TRUMP. Do you think he listens? I even added the word "Comrade" " for the good of mother Russia" and "nyet" so he knows it was from his overlords. Still, nothing.

• I care

Have notice this done also and it is very frightening. People that literally suggest another person harm themselves is to be avoided. Shame on them.

Yes, it’s terrible. I wonder if the people who are saying this online would also say it were the suffering person standing in front of them. I seriously doubt it.

The excuse is sometimes given that this is appropriate for "spamming the same thing over and over." From personal experience, I have found the weakness in this reasoning. Someone came here repeatedly asking for help, and was criticized as craving attention. However, the person eventually got a satisfying answer, and that was the last we saw of her.

It's very possible that someone who asks for help more than once is dissatisfied with poor answers. Yahoo is not the Mayo Clinic.

Of course they are.

But then, why would you even consider the rantings of a criminal who would tell someone to kill themselves?

I'm sure that they're aware that telling people to commit suicide is a crime but nowadays with the invention of the VPN people don't care.

i would hope theyre aware of that, i usually will report those answers if i see them,i live in an apt building and when i moved in i had this neighbor across from me, she was having issues with nerve pain from diabetes, we were friends and id visit her and she'd send her dog to visit me after my knee surgery,one day i told someone i havent seen her leave her apt for 3 days , not even to walk her dog, someone called maintenance and they came over with the police and found her dead, a neighbor told me this guy that lived her told her to kill herself when she complained of pain, makes me so mad that he never went to jail, i cant stand the sight of him now, i still miss my friend a lot even though its been 7 yrs, i think it should be illegal

Its because they are behind a screen.They do not ultimately consider the people online real unless they have interacted with them online for long periods of time.

• LAN

No, it's because we are tired of attention whores endlessly posting the same thing over and over.

They probably aren't aware. They say that because they're immature and most people don't nor want to understand mental health.

@LAN, I'm not the OP you fool. Nor do I know who it is or that they spam the same questions until reading the other answers.

• LAN

Why should we be afraid of anything? After all you would have to let the police see your posting history of constantly spamming the same things over and over which would invalidate your claim.