I-864A Affidavit of Support?

I will be using both parents as household members to help me sponsor my hubby and upon reading the I-864A instructions, there is a sentence that confused me as I don't understand what it wants the way it is worded. The paragraphs says "If you provide a photocopy of your tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns. Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint Federal income tax return with your spouse." My confusion is regarding the last sentence as I don't get it due to the wording. Background" parents are retired and filing jointly, so do I 1) provide sperate I-864As for both (2X)? 2) If their joint taxes have their combined income without specifing who is getting how much from their retirement, do I also submit their seperate SS statement where it shows who gets how much of retirement income? I don't understand what that last sentence says,c an someone please clarify?

3 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Your parents will request a tax transcript from the IRS, free of charge.

    Better than spending a day in front of the photo copier. My latest tax return had 81 pages.

    Problem solved.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • 4 weeks ago

    You must document the source of all income, as reported on your income tax returns. So for your Affidavit of Support form, you include your income tax returns, and proofs of income - all the W-2s, 1099s, etc. you used to file your return Just like when you filed with IRS.

    For your parents to cosponsor, they need to document the source(s) of all their income on their joint return. So that's going to be the 1099s from each person's Social Security, their pensions & IRAs & all their sources of income. Just like they do to file their annual income tax returns.

  • 4 weeks ago

    I agree that it is worded confusingly. However, I have gone through this process, and what I understand it to be saying is that if you are sending the photocopy of your parents' tax returns, you must include their W-2s and 1099. That would include the statements they get from Social Security and any other pension funds they have. The rest of it is irrelevant, unless you're going to use an IRS transcript, which most people would not have anyway. Yes, you include both of their statements from SS.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.