Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

My girlfriend never wants to see my family?

I have a very close family, and she doesn’t, her family have abandoned her and she doesn’t see much of her dad because his wife doesn’t like him seeing her. She only really sees her mum and her cousin. Anyway, as I was saying I’m close to all my family and have quite a big family, but every time I go and see them and ask if she wants to come she always says no, or she just happens to be “busy” on that day. She never comes to parties or events and I understand she has anxiety and doesn’t like parties and I’m ok with that, but we’ve been together for a year now and don’t understand why she won’t come and see my family with me. She won’t tell me why. She has met them and gone round a few times but that’s not a lot considering how long we’ve been together.  I want her to get on well with my family. I’ve been to her mums a few times.  Any advice? Can anyone think of a reason ? 

maybe shes jealous you have a better family than she does

You've only dated a year. She's met your family several times. She's not a MEMBER of your family! There really isn't a good reason why she needs to be so attached to them as you are. It's not in her history or blood. Nothing wrong with it.

I'd suggest taking baby steps. Introduce her to one person at a time. Go by her comfort level. If she has anxiety problems, it's completely understandable why she doesn't want to participate in big social events.

• Henry

I think she doesn't like relatives.

Maybe introduce her to family 1 or 2 people at a time if she struggles with social anxiety.

That's unfortunate, but do you have a question?