Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

Do you think it's selfish to choose to have an only child?

I think it's pretty crappy for a couple to deny their kid a sibling unless there's a medical reason or infertility

What do you think

Yea I think it is but if the woman cant get pregnant anymore, then it obviously is not her fault, but if she can help it she should give her kid at least one or 2 siblings

• chris

When we adopted our first foster kid, we felt the same way so we kept our house open to other fosters. Eventually, we also adopted a 4 person sibling group giving us 5 total.

I love all of my kids, but sometimes wonder what life would be like if we had stopped at one! I know things would definitely be simpler.

i think some people might not be able to afford more than one child or they just never got pregnant again

• R L

each child cost over 300,000.00 to raise here in the NE USA. If selfish to bring on a child if you cant properly financially care for the child so yes you are insane with your logic.

No, not at all. Its a personal choice and Id rather see a family have one child and raise it properly, then have four and be lousy parents.

• dman63

There’s nothing selfish about choosing to have one child. It’s their own business.

• Mark

So, you're suggesting an only child cannot have friends, neighbours, cousins and/or nephews/neices to play with, have adventures, sleepovers, talk to online, etc. etc.?

• Jeff

I don’t think you get to make assumptions or judgements. Some people want one kid and some kids don’t want siblings. My wife and I are both only children and have no issue with it. Frankly if you do I really don’t care.

• M.P.

Some people only want one child, some couples don't want any. I know many only children, my cousin, my father in law, my best friend, my husband's cousin - all great people with many friends and amazing lives. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, some people have siblings whom they hate and have horrible toxic relationships with, some people are only children who turned their friends into family. It really doesn't matter.

• Poppy

Nah, just help them make friends and it's all good :)