Should I quit my job?

Hi everyone, I just wanted some input about my decision of whether I should quit my job. I'm a 19 years old, I'm a full-time college (1st year) and I have a part-time job. Where I live, minimum wage is 8.25 which is what I get paid, normally work 5 days a week, 6 hours each day. I've been at my for 2 months, and its not a difficult job, I'm a retail cashier, and after working in fast food for 2 years, it's a less stressful. The only issue I have with this job I have is scheduling. Like I mentioned, I am a full time student; Monday through Friday taking 5 courses. The workload from my classes is intense, I always have lots of homework to do and it's difficult to get it all complete when I have to go straight to work afterschool and get out late at night. At first I was able to manage school and work but I've become so mentally exhausted lately, I have mental breakdowns every week because I have so much to do for school but npt enough time to do anything. I actually work 9 days straight beginning tomorrow, (54 hrs), and seeing that I work so many days in a row triggered me to have an anxiety attack. 

As important as it is for me to work and make my own money, I feel like I am overworking myself sick, and all this stress and anxiety working for minimum wage just doesn't seem worth it. I am fortunate enough to have a need to work to survive since I live with my parents and financial aid has cover my schooling expenses. Should I quit and focus on school or tough it out at work?

*I am fortunate enough NOT to have the need to work

• Judy

Thirty is a lot of hours with going to school full time. Ask to work shorter hours, or find a new job where you can

• DJC

If you are having anxiety attacks and feeling mentally exhausted, I would maybe cut back on your hours. 30 hours per week may be technically part-time, but it's on the higher end of part-time. Many employers consider 32-40 hours per week to be full-time. Being a full-time student and an almost full-time employee can definitely be mentally exhausting, even if it isn't physically exhausting. (Believe me, I know. I used to be a cashier too.) I would ask your boss to cut back to 10-15 hours, 20 hours at the absolute most, and make sure to ask for days off instead of just having your boss cut hours per day and retain the number of days - because some bosses will do that.

If 10-20 hours per week is still too much for you, then quit. Your education is more important than a job as a cashier, and it is hard to achieve good grades if you're not mentally healthy. If after you quit, you're still anxious, then you may have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), a medical condition, in which case you would need to see a psychiatrist.

Hope this helps. Feel free to comment on this answer if you have any follow-up questions.