Jim asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 weeks ago

Why do vegans eat fake meat like Beyond Meat? Doesn't it prove that deep down, vegans are would-be carnivores?

Maybe but thats a individual case by case bias.

Its much like the idealogical view of some animal rights activists several decades ago when they were against people wearing fake fur. The idea was that it made wearing fur fashionable and maybe some people would want the real thing.

• Jenna

I love those "meat" products! I am vegan because I do not like slaughtering animals when I can get plant protein and still be as healthy. Even if I did not have those principles I can not eat meat because I am intolerant for some reason!

• Wendigo

Were you ever bitten by a tick? If so then you should be tested for alpha gal. That can cause a sensitivity to meats, especially those which are mammalian. It's something that could become a serious issue over time, like Lyme's disease is

Lol why would you think I wouldn't. .?

Meat is delicious.

I don't oppose it for the TASTE. I oppose it for the animal killing. There's a whole lot less of that involved in a patty made from soy and seaweed.

• Bob

I wouldn’t eat that and I’m vegan. Being vegan for me is about staying alive without killing anything to do so. If you don’t need to kill why would you. Fake meat is a transitional product, which might become very useful for meat eaters when the industry collapses.

"Why do vegans eat fake meat like Beyond Meat? Doesn't it prove that deep down, vegans are would-be carnivores?"

The reason that those vegans who eats fake meat such as the Beyond Meat product, is that the're working on the transitioning from eating meat. However it does NOT prove that deep down inside they're are carnivores. Humans are neither carnivores nor herbivores, but rather omnivores. Meat in general is not as archaeology has shown, the sole cause of the development of modern man. Yes it did help, however it was learning first to use fire, and then to use it to cook foods with.

Also as was by another user stated, targeting a small group or very small percentage of the overall population, is generally not economically sound. But there are plenty of people who for whatever their individual reasoning is, and most commonly is for suitable substitutes for meat. It can be for any number of reasons as to why people will chose to buy such products, even if they normally include meat in their diet. Vegans as a whole, makes up less than one percent of the overall population. Add in vegetarians and it goes up to about two point five percent. Which is more than enough, that it starts to make such products, to become financially viable. Then add in interest from others to try such new things, and a market is created.

They really do not do the necessary mental step.

Humans aren't carnivores, they're omnivores.

Some vegans eat “fake meat” products because they like eating meat but have decided that they don't want to. It's like people who like smoking or drinking alcohol but they decide they don't want to.

• Steve

no vegan would deny that they would eat meat if their brain leaned that way. anyway, the beyond meat patty is another one amongst other patties. since it tastes good, they add it to their diet.

• Blearg

There's this thing called "people love food" and also a thing called "variety is fun" and also a thing called "nostalgia is motivating for a lot of people" and also a thing called "morally grounded dietary decisions are separate from food cravings".

Most of the people who are eating beyond meat aren't vegans. The main demographic they are targeting is people who want to eat less meat (for environmental or health reasons) but aren't motivated to change their entire dietary pattern to do so.

No animals were killed