Christmas gift for brother going through divorce?

I have an older brother who has recently separated from his wife and is now only getting weekend visitation with his kids. I am trying to think of what to get him for Christmas. We are not very close, or emotionally open/vulnerable. I don't want to get him something stupid or insensitive, but I also don't want to go too cheesy, or get something that might hurt his feelings (like an encouragement pillow, ?)

Any ideas? Thanks

If he's the one who left the family home chances are he needs mundane things like pots and pans or dishes. So maybe go with something non-sentimental that'll improve his daily life but won't dredge up any bad feelings about what's going on. Towels and such are also great for someone just having to set up their own household.

a new wife! ;-)

• mmm

how about movie tickets so he can take his kids?

• Z

Why don't you ask him what you can get him for xmas. If you don't know your brother that well, how could we?

• David

The best gift is (as always) something that you would buy for yourself. There are some really nice cell phones listed over on gizchina in the $100 range, and the $200 range. If he already has a nice cell phone, there are some waterproof bluetooth speakers for $50 or less on Amazon that really sound good. (read reviews)

What do you like? Any hobbies? Any collectibles?

Why not a voucher, a bottle of wine, a caring card and be there for him. You can't really go getting him something huge, because he might not like getting pitied on. The simple the better