Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Does this sound like a scam?

I am trying to rent my first apartment. The man renting to me stated I can send him security deposit through ZELLE on my bank app and then he will send me keys and tracking number and I should get keys in 2 days. He told me I should go check out apartment and ask neighbors about living there, but he couldn’t show me inside because he is out of state. I did go and looked in windows and everything seems legit. I signed rental agreement and he is just waiting for security deposit to send keys. I assumed if it was a scam he wouldn’t have me pay through my bank because the money would be traceable and I have all our conversations showing we have an agreement. I am afraid to pay him and then he will disappear. Can I ask him to show me homeownership documents? What can I do? Does it sound legit? 

• John

You didn't explain why he was out of state and if he is an absentee landlord.

I claim your scamming and fishing.

No reason you can't trust the person. If he was 'scamming' you a single phone call from you to 911 would put him in prison for pretty near the rest of his life.

In fact all you have to do is check him out with your bogus "online" garbage ad people to find out if the dingbat was crazy.

Your a scammer nutball.

Total scam. There is zero protection by the way for money sent through Zelle, it is only for payments to people you know and trust.

................

100% scam. Hands down, no doubt whatsoever. He don t own the place thats why he can t let you in.

And think about this: do you really want to keep dealing with a landlord who you don t even know what he looks like? If he don t even have the curtesy to show you the property, he ll never show up if something breaks. Please move on from this because it is a definite scam. Find another apartment.

He will withdraw you rmoney the second it hits his account and what go will being able to trace it do you then.  This has scam written all over it, forget it he isn't the owner.

• Judy

Sounds shaky. And paying thru your bank might say where it went, but not that he's still there. Possibly legit, but maybe a scam. You could check with the county records that the name he's giving you at least is the owner's name, but still doesn't prove that the person you're dealing with is that person. I'd just look elsewhere.

Out of state landlords are always scams...

• Mark

Common SCAM. Never rent unless you can personally see the apartment

It is a scam. don't go for it.

100% SCAM

"Out of town" landlord is always a scam.

You are, most likely, dealing with a scammer in West Africa.