Did your ancestor made a good decision by leaving their birth country?

If they did not, you will be there today

• Snoopy

It's a really hard question to answer, but I guess migration is a sign of progress and improvement, so overall yes.

Yeah they probably would have all been wiped out in the holocaust otherwise.

They didn't leave their original country and I'm proud of their decision 

Good heavens ⁅ʜᴀᴢʏ⁆ Anglo Saxon Anglo-Scandinavian Anglo-Norman, I'm a bit of a mixture really. I have no idea, they must have left for some reason.

• ?

From Saxony to England

True. I am.glad to be born and raised in America instead of south America.

I don't think more than a quarter of Americans have all four grandparents born here.  For the rest, ALL those people made a good decision to move to the US.  It's hard to imagine any of their lives were worse here than wherever they came from.

My mom's parents might be the exception.  They came here after being thrown out of their native country for being the wrong religion.  They also did much better here, plus I got to be born here, not in the USSR.

• YourCat

The norm is the wife follow the husband or live with the husband's family so mostly it would be about the paternal side birth place

• Dj2541

My Fathers Parents made great decisions to Leave Ireland, being Glasgow Irish, and move the whole Clan to Australia. Leaving the potential Religious confrontations behind, and coming to the true land of the free!!!!

I don't know if I should answer your question being as though there are a lot of people who go annon and call out users and you might be one of them too. My ancestors didn't have a choice. Yeah, it's a good choice that I am here but the countries circumstances and rules are nothing to get excited about. Travel is hard, paying for anything is hard, living is hard and if that wasn't bad enough there are racist here. There wasn't supposed to be. Anyone I have interest in are in the country that I can't go to or they might have left. so not so much for me.

• Phil

Yes, my grandfather and grandmother fled the USSR to another country when Stalin was in power and just before WWII.

• Snoopy

He would jail everyone smart anyway... Kandinsky also fled to Germany, and there he was allowed to express his true genius.