What’s the highest average internet speed?

I just wanna see and compare how well my internet speed is to others, because when looking at services from different things like AT&T and Verizon (didnt even know they provided wifi) I see plans as low as 6mbps, then other providers thay offer up to 940mbps and it makes me question what’s good mbps?

• 1 year ago

Four to seven bits per hour.

(Well, that's what it Seems like when I'm waiting.)

• 1 year ago

Average Internet speeds vary a lot depending on which provider,state, county, city, neighborhood, and even which house you live in/have. For instance, in my house in NorCal for years the fastest speeds AT&T could offer was up to 3 Mbps. Then they updated it to 6 Mbps, 18 Mbps, 22 Mbps, and then finally, 50 Mbps. In my city, only very few modern neighborhoods (from about the past decade) can get fiber to the home.

The amount of speed you need will depend on what you do online. If you stream a lot of HD/UHD video and download very large files constantly, then faster speeds will be better. However, if you watch a few YT/Netflix videos here and there do general web browsing, you probably don't need more than 50 Mbps.

• P
    1 year ago

It's generally a waste of money to pay for speeds above 100mbs for households, so if you have at least that you are good.   The best analogy I can give is that above 100mb  is like having a car that has a top speed of 200mph with your local speed limits are only 55mph.   Upgrading things like your wifi to at least AC1900 is important since without that you won't even be able to achieve anything close to what you are paying for.  Residential networking equipment caps out at 1000mb so you won't see household speeds offered greater than that.  

• 1 year ago

If you plan to stream 4K movies, then you want at least 25 Mbps. If you have multiple streamers in the household then you should go with at least 50 Mbps.