Does the quality of your instrument affect your learning progress?

Let's say I'm learning to play the piano. If I have an inexpensive most basic keyboard you can get will my progress be any different to having a really expensive keyboard/piano?

• mars
    2 days ago

Yes. I've mostly had average instruments, now I have a professional one. It plays better, has truer tones, and inspires learning.

• 3 days ago

a good clasical guitar, has,,lightwoods, a perfectly out together neck,strings that fret easily,, do not buzz,sound that projects,,

all meaning it is conducive to chord and progression impro

in a word,,,yes

• Max

Having a real piano is is important for dynamics, technique such as fingering with fully weighted keys, and expression with fully weighted keys, all important for sounding good on a piano. A keyboard can never deliver the same sound or ability to be learned on properly like a real piano can. An upright piano is perfect for learning on. It has weighted keys, a full range, all the pedals, and everything that comes with a piano. It just won't sound as good as a grand or even a baby grand. But remember this, anyone can make any piano sound good if they are good enough, upright or not. It is more about the player, not the piano, like anything.

Hope this helped.

Max

Source(s): 15 years of piano experience; I learned piano on an upright piano

Provided the instrument works to the same extent as a 'real' version - i.e it has a decent amount of polyphony, has touch sensitivity, a full range (although you could probably get away with losing an octave or so) and at least a sustain pedal then it won't really affect you until you become more advanced, where tone becomes more important. 

You can see plenty of videos on youtube of '$50 vs $25k' instruments - the consensus seems to be that other than the dirt cheap one they are all pretty much OK, certainly for a beginner.

Cheaper keyboards will likely be missing the full range compared to more expensive pianos and they usually are not as sensitive with touch as uprights/grands. (Harder to get true articulations). They also are not weighted. An analogy; it'd be like a person shifting from 10lb dumbells to 25 dumbells. (not proportional or anything). Will you be able to sound on regular pianos? yes. You'll have difficulty in producing articulation/dynamics that you want until your fingers are accustomed to weighted keys. 

Finally, if you were to get very technical/precise level, I'm only guessing, but it's likely that cheap keyboards will not include all the partials produced by pianos. (When you hit a note, you're actually hearing that fundamental pitch + others, read up on it!). The lack of partials may be noticeable to you if you were to switch from cheap to nice and might be some adjustment, but only if you were sensitive to that sound. 

Keyboard is good for practicing fingering and scale fingers, chords, etc, as well as for composing since they can use other sounds. Not good for precision, finger muscle development, skilled professional pianists to practice on. (still good for hand stretching and developing flexibility I think).

--------------------------

i dont think so

To some extent, the quality of the instrument does indeed matter. At the very least the instrument cannot be so cheaply made that its bad action or lack of tonality impedes the learning process. This is where a good teacher comes in handy: to help you choose the right beginner's instrument. Sometimes you need to spend a little more to get the right one. That's why many beginners start out on rented instruments.

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years