why do people ride choppers?

it seems to me they sacrifice every aspect of a motorcycle making it almost unrideable just to make them look good? due to the ancient suspension they can barely corner worth a damn and lord help you if you hit a pothole on a hard tail! they usually swap out smaller tanks, so less range. the engines make barely any power. those old vtwins make what? 30hp? 40 on a good day? they are uncomfortable as ****, unreliable, and for some reason people often modify them with things like suicide shifters which is a compromise in safety. like yeah i get it you spent 10k customizing it and putting a rebuilt harley flathead in the thing but youre still gonna get smoked by an old *** cb750 that handles better, is more comfortable, and gets more range.

• Andy

I beg to differ with you about cornering. I own a 1956 Panhead I've owned for over 42 years. It's the best handling bike in corners I own or have owned. When you push it hard into a corner you can tell exactly what your bike is doing under you. It's not the fastest bike, but it's the most fun to ride. It has true personality. It's what my definition of what a motorcycle is supposed to be.

• don r

Years ago, I was lipping off like that. The HD rider asked me, "Did you ever ride a  "Harley?" I answered, "No". He held my Honda and said  to me, "Git on it and ride". That mildly raked and chopped Sportster was hella nice to ride.  I never called his wife ugly again either.  Nuff said.

Shrinks refer to choppers as phallic symbols.

• zipper

Because they like them, and love the look it gives them, and your facts are quite false as well!

• adam

your a mutt. Chopping makes the machine lighter and therefore faster. Its not a suicide shift its a suicide clutch . Called that because the rocker part of the clutch pedal is removed. A chopper is easy to work on. No inner or outer primary . No electric start. No front brake. If its not absolutely needed to start and run simply remove it. Real daily rider chops are out there. The bikes you describe are show bikes. Horsepower? Lots of big inch chops out here . My panhead is 120 inches. Runs stupid strong and doesnt have ridiculous rake and trail. I beat guys like you drag racing all the time. As for old chops? Who cares how much HP an old flathead makes. They are fun to ride. You dont get it? So what your a stupid mutt. 

• Anon3 weeks agoReport

We grow Tired if you cut and pasting some patch from Ebay. Means Nothing. Or your imponent posting you were in some AZ club that Folded in the '90s. Post Proof  it Didn't. 

I've two motorcycles right now. a '12 V-Strom 650 which is my daily ride / work horse and an old '06 Speed Triple which is my garage queen.

The V-Strom 650 is FAR more practical than my Speedy, but I love the Speedy more! For one thing, I love the sheer amount of torque it has down-low. It felt insane when I first rode it after years of riding a VFR750 (No slough by any means) and it still feels crazy now and I just love it. 

Speaking of which, it all boils down to what you love, not what you need. 

I've a fiance but that doesn't stop me from loving a few smokin' hot Hollywood chicks! Also, I've a practical motorcycle but that doesn't stop me from loving my Speed Triple. 

• Cap'n. America

My 5 foot nuthin, 89 lbs dripping wet GF used point  out girls who would pass for supermods. She would think me Weird if I Didn't look.

they look good.  That is all they ever need.  Hit a pothole with a regular motorcycle and you will not fare any better.  What the hell is a pothole doing on a road?

. also, no motorcycle corners worth a sht. without you being tossed **** over teakettle.  Choppers corner just fine. Besides I like bees up my pantlegs and up my shirt sleeves.  Some excitement in life.  Better than hugging a gas tank.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Rubbish.   . My stock Harley handles Great in  curves--just give her some Gas...

• JetDoc

People ride what they like. There are very few motorcycles out there that have not been modified or customized in some way or another. Some are just more extreme than others.

• Anon6 days agoReport

Most Harleys have some mod  .If not the frame; chrome doodads and a hot cam/open pipes.

Some of us don't Care if  a Metric passes us. Rather do it with Class.

I parked my Harley next to two green  YZF-R3s. An old lady said:  "Oh, look at all  the motorcycles!  I think I like the red one, best".

• Dimo

" Only A Biker Knows Motorcycle Dog Sticks Head Window. "

Why do people ride sport bikes, armored, helmeted, protected from the wind?

THEY are the ones who sacrifice basic reason for riding a motorcycle.

Uncomfortable?  The sport position with legs folded under, arms low, body leaning down to avoid the wind?

On a "chopper" you ride upright, relaxed, feet forward, sitting in the rocker chair position.

Those old big twins put out a considerable more horsepower than 40.  Hell, my 652cc  single had over 30 bhp and cruised at 85 mph.  There is no need to go faster.

You obviously have never rode a "chppper" -- they handle just fine, corner fine.  Although I can understand you wanting a softer suspension since you are not able to see and dodge a pothole.

• Tim D

Thank you. If you drink a pint of water before you go to bed that hangover is going to hurt less in the morning.