Seniors, what are your opinions on electric cars? Do you or would you own one?

• drip
    Favorite Answer

My daughter has a Prius and I love it. I don’t know why we don’t have more hybrids on the market. We can not keep going with the fuel we now use. We are ruining our planet. Battery/electric cars will keep progressing and getting better,  We as a country need to start preparing for that.

I have learned that the car comes with a kit that contains an extra cable for a regular 110 outlet in an emergency.

I like to know about them before I buy 1.

• P.L.

If I were still driving I'd want to know much more about them first e.g. how would the cost of travel compare with petrol and how often will there be charging stations.? How would the cost of insurance compare with what drivers pay now for petrol driven cars.  What sort of repairs would be required and would there be enough places to know how to repair them. I think it will be a slow take off for some time and the early buyers will be those people who must always be the first in their town or area or street to own one.   Many will wait to see how they perform before handing over a wad of cash I think.

• Zirp

Where does the energy come from? do we burn coal for it? lignite?

and seriously, after replacing 800 million cars with electric ones (if we have enough rare metals...) we'll still have the same traffic-jams.

We need to transition to a society in which few people need a car ("walkable cities")

better than being driven by unseen or robot.

• Ann

I will stick with my gas-burning, carbon-imprinting, polluting vehicle that runs on gasoline, thank you.  I tried riding in a Prius once, and it just didn't feel "right".

• Dze

if you got money toys are cool .. what happens when you run low at walmart 40 miles from home .. i dont see alot of support for an electric car ... yet .. if they cost the same as a regular car and support is universal like a gas station, and not just pulling in and waiting 4 goddam hours to charge but basically pull in and an automated apparatus changes the battery out and you go in a couple of minutes .. then it might work .. otherwise its a toy, if i got 60 80 grand to pop on a toy sure .. i'll get one ..

• y

Not quite a Senior but old enough to get age related discounts.  If they made an electric car that fit me properly(seating is an issue), was affordable, then I have no issue with them. I love those tiny little smart cars, of course. I can't sit in them.  I am not one that believes that currently they do anything for the enviroment though. The electricity used to charge does not come entirely from green sources and the foot print from the lives of the batteries alone. Cancel anything gained.

mans not got one yet cuz, but still ngl mans thinking bout one tho still but i still dunno cuz you get me fam