How do I tell someone they are a bad singer?

My friend is an aspiring singer, but she sings wildly out of tune. I am a singer and have tried coaching her a bit, but she continues to sound the same. I figure it’s fine as a hobby for her if she enjoys it, but she is depending on it for a career. How do I tell her to switch gears before applications? Should I tell her? We are seniors in high school.

• 2 days ago

someone has to tell her.you can really hurt somebody by letting them live a lie,it does nobody any good for people to pacify them. tell her...maybe she just needs a kapo on her guitar  or something.or somebody to work with her.i believe everybody can sing.

Don't tell her, just help her get better

I taught Voice and Choir in the schools of NY state for more than 25 years.  You said "applications" - I assume, to colleges. If she intends to major in Music, she will need to pass a serious audition; reading music, sight reading (perhaps solfege), a basic Theory test - and a serious audition with works from specific music genres. She can't belt out some Taylor Swift song and expect acceptance.  Unless she has been taking private voice lessons for years with a fine teacher, she has no hope of being accepted.  None.  Have her look online at the vocal audition requirements for few colleges.  She probably will not even understand what they are asking for. Maybe that will cause her to make other choices.  And you can show her this response - let her be mad at me, an anonymous career professional in this area, instead of you, her friend.

This is a tough lesson you might just have to let her learn the hard way. Let her apply and see what happens.

• Mamianka

As I said - I do not think they would understand the lists of required works or genres. Students underestimate the application AUDITION.

You don't have to tell her anything. If she's planning on making singing a career she will eventually be faced with the fact that she cannot sing.

Introduce her to the music of Tom Waits. And teach her some talking blues.

Yeah well, coming from someone who knows music quite well to some extent Take it from me. Do not tell her that she can't sing. No matter how nice and polite you'll be it'll definitely ruin her self esteem. So I think you should encourage her and let her sing on stage/stages of possible until she realizes she's bad at it

• .

Just plug ears when she is singing