Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Why do so many people think just because someone old, that they deserve our respect?

You dont know what terrible things that elderly person did. Like, my grandfather use to beat, and neglect his animals.

Nah they don't think like that, everyone need respects not just the seniors. Whoever thinks that is mess up in the head.

That is true but if they show you respect it should be given back. We were taught manners to respect the elderly that was to show all the hard work they accomplished all their life and now its time to help them like they should help you when you were young.

• P.L.

Old people, and I'm an old person - almost 80, and don't believe that we automatically should be respected.   A person earns respect, it is not mandatory.  Some old people are very disrespectful to some, but still expect it from other people.

There are people in my life whom I respect very much and some I respect not one tiny bit.

I try to respect all other human beings and do so providing they give me no reason to DISrespect them.

I show respect to everyone I meet until that person prove to me that I shouldn't have and shouldn't in the future.

• Judith

Everyone should be respected UNLESS they've done something undeserving of respect.  Oftentimes we are unaware of things people do or have done in the past which would lose our respect - if we knew about it.  That still doesn't mean that we shouldn't show respect to ALL people unless we know otherwise.

I've never met Trump but the man deserves the respect of no one.  The Office of the Presidency is deserving of respect and, until now, I've always respect the person holding the office.  Not now.

• Paul

We don't "deserve" respect but, at the same time we do not deserve the disrespect which is so generously heaped upon us by younger generations.

I think they deserve to be respected unless they really are extremely rude. Most are nice. A lot of younger people are the ones who are rude, but it's always been that way with younger people. I am lot nicer now that I'm older than I used to be.

most elderly folk do deserve respect, the baby boomers are the better generation.

quite agree, they don't, they're all individuals as every other group. respect should be earned by behaviour.

I seriously doubt anybody still believes that! Nobody deserves respect just because they're old, and women don't deserve respect just because of their gender! We're all equal, remember??? And respect is EARNED!

• P.L.

Agreed DeLayne, some of my teachers in school demanded respect and we had to SHOW respect but, with some teachers, it was a fake respect because they deserved none because of their horrendous behaviour e.g. bashing a boys head in the desk repeatedy until his nose bled.  He went to prison for that.