Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 week ago

Is there a special tax on tampons?

I read some feminists complaining about the tampon tax. Is there a special tax on tampons? If so, why?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

There are so many taxes

• Anonymous
    4 days ago

Does that exist?

• 5 days ago

I’m not sure about in other countries, but in some states in America, there is a tax (in addition to sales tax) on tampons. This tax is called a luxury tax, and is placed on items that are deemed unnecessary, this can include fancier cars... and tampons. Tampons have a luxury tax, as they are seen unnecessary by government officials. Why? This can not be answered, though the only answer one could truly conclude to is a lack of education on the importance of feminine hygiene, and an ignorance regarding the female reproductive system. Luckily, more recently, states have begun to remove tampons from the luxury items tax. Some are unaware this Tax exists, because it doesn’t include tampons in their state or country. As of now, the majority of states include tampons in this tax.

• 5 days ago

no i had a funny job for and hour to see if coulld handle a tampon making machine i handled it but i left to a new career.No tax they clean cook take the kids to school .I explain some thing about life i have generational scaring forced .I scare on my finger cut there on purpose .iT was put there  after a fight only once with a very best mate .A woman another dear friend was when i was 4 had two blood bags after a miscarrage one in each arm and they scared both wrists about 3 mill and another dear friend had heart trouble .They tryed to break my right arm in hospital .They cursed me for i some money 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 days ago

Depends on where you live.  Easiest way to find out for your area is to go to the store and ask.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 days ago

It's not a special tax, it's just the standard sales tax in the jurisdiction where the product is being purchased. The argument in the UK is a bit different. But here in the US the hew and cry is to make tampons more akin to things like prescription drugs that has no sales tax in many places. The augment is that since only females buy this product any sales tax on it at all is unfair. Nevermind that about half of all adult US women are married and therefore about half the money spent on feminine hygiene products comes out of marital assets that affect men too.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

Hue and cry. And I'm sure those men would be happy not to have to pay that tax, too, given that tampons are such regularly purchased items in many couples' homes.  If men have teenage daughters, they have to buy even more.

• F
    Lv 6
    6 days ago

No, just VAT, which there shouldn't be because they are hardly luxury items. Having said that, it's the usual story about people (well just women in this case), moaning about the price of essentials because we all want the latest phone.

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

There is no unique or special tax on tampons.   Some states exempt hygiene items from their sales tax, some states don’t.   Feminists refer to this as a tampon tax to make it sound like women are being unfairly targeted when they are not.  It’s just the sales tax.  

• DKG
      Lv 6
      5 days agoReport

Well... it is the standard application of sales tax, but it is frequently a 'special rate of tax' using the discretionary ability to vary the 'luxury rates' invariably to reduce them - so while our jurisdiction applies a 20% tax on toilet paper or soap... it applies a luxury tax rate of 5% on pads.

• hi
    Lv 5
    7 days ago

Are males' razors also except from sales tax ? 

How about children's toys.. Are they except from sales tax ?

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

There is not. The complaint was about sales tax on tampons. Most states have removed it.

• WaldoBC
      Lv 6
      7 days agoReport

It should be removed from all hygiene products... or none of them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.