Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

I got invited to a wedding and the invitation doesn't say i can bring a guest. Am i allowed to still bring a guest to the wedding?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless the invitation says so, no.

They will have planned catering 

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would say plus one or and guest.

How well do you know the couple?

Yes it rude to ask to bring a guest,

But. At my daughter’s wedding we had a whole group of a family not be able to come due to an illness. They had a couple of friends ask politely if they could bring a guest with them. As we had plenty of extra room they said yes, please do. We were glad they asked. 

In general couple’s plan a specific number of guests they can afford to invite. Asking can put them into an awkward position.  

• Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Although not asking can also create embarrassment.  If it was merely a badly worded invitation then they could clarify it.   In other words ask if they intended you to bring a guest or not. ( don't ask if you CAN bring a guest unless it was extremely important to you)

• 1 month ago

Don't bring a guest. A guest isn't invited. You are not allowed.

• GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If you don't want to attend the wedding  without a plus-one then don't go. Asking if you can bring a guest, might make  the couple feel obliged to say yes. 

• Lili
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

If the poster were married, her spouse would have been invited. Clearly she is not, or she wouldn't be asking about taking a guest.  It would be extremely rude to ask to bring a guest, and the couple would NOT be at all obligated to say yes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

On the invitation if there is no mention of a guest or plus 1, only you were invited... without a guest.

So... no.

• 1 month ago

It would be RUDE to bring a guest if the invitation doesn't say plus 1.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, if the invitation makes no mention of a guest you are not allowed to bring one.

• 1 month ago

I would either call and inform them or answer it in a RSVP note that you will bring someone.

Source(s): me
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You aren't allowed to bring someone with you, not unless the invitation specifically states "plus one". The person you brought with you would not be welcome. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No.   The invitation is addressed to you only.   That means only you are invited. 

• Eva
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No if the invitation only has your name on it and not "your name and guest" you are not allowed to bring a guest.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.