Can I buy just one or two acres of land?

Is it possible for me to buy just one or two acres of wooded land? My friends and I like to go camping a lot. And every year we do a big camping trip with like 20-30 people. It’s frustrating dealing with the person limit per campsite and fees at normal camping areas. Would it be possible for me to purchase just one or two acres of wooded land to use for personal camping every year? If so, how much would it probably cost? I live in Indiana. Any other suggestions towards this problem would be helpful as well. Thanks!

• 1 day ago

U need to check with the gov, think of it as buying cake, most of the time lands are sold as a whole cake, so you have to buy whatever acers the land is, u can't only buy a part of it, but sometimethey sell it as "piece" each "piece" is x amount of acers. If the gov sells it in "piece" and that "piece" just so happen to be 1 acer or 2 acers then yes u can buy it. And price is something no one but the gov can give u. 

Certainly you can buy land. Keep in mind that even rural areas may have CC&Rs that prevent you from camping. You need to check the rules before you spend the money.

If you are not smart enough to read real estate ads in your area or know to contact a real estate agent - then I doubt you have the $$ to buy your own land.  

Why you would come here, and not take a peek at the Classified section of your local online paper - makes no sense. 

Instead of camping this summer, why not consider taking summer courses in basic internet usage?  That way you wont be helpless.

I would suggest looking up your nearest NATIONAL Forests. Possibly large tracts of Wildlife Areas. Often then you can find a small lot, possibly with a Cabin on it or just a vacant spot. Buy that with access to the bounty of acreage just behind YOUR property. This way you leverage your small track while having direct access to a National Forest.

Many years ago now, I bought a primitive Cabin in the mountains for only $3000. Outhouse out back, Water had to be hauled in jugs from 1/2 mile away from a tapped Spring. ALL the neighbors went to get water, FRESH, COLD, AND PURE. I put a large Agricultural Tank up the hill so water would run downhill to have showers.

I found it VERY cool also the little town's OFFICIAL name was " Hearts Content".

• ?

Well, its possible. You'd just have to find a private owner willing to sell you a couple of acres. Of course, most campsites are in protected lands like national parks, which cannot be sold for private use, so you probably wont be able to purchase land at an established camp site. So you're looking for privately owned land that isnt in the process of being developed, which is increasingly rare these days, and looking to convince the owner to carve off a chunk for your personal use, the value of which will be largely variable depending on the development potential of the land. Probably your best bet is to contact local real estate agents, who can tell you how often such land parcels have come up in the past, and keep an eye out for ones coming up in the future.

• Eva

It's possible, but usually wooded tracts are sold in 5+ acre lots. Anything that has lake or other water access is more expensive. Expect to pay $500 - $6000 per acre depending on location, topography, how heavily it is wooded and with what species of trees (lumber value).