How do I avoid getting lens reflection when shooting negative film?

I m experimenting shooting negative film using a point-and-shoot digital camera in and using my iphone. I m shooting the negative film on a light box. The problem is that I can see the camera lens reflection on the negative film. Any way to avoid that?

• keerok
    3 days ago

Light from behind the film strip. Diffuse the light to spread it out evenly. See slide duplicators.

• Frank
    4 days ago

Have a black cloth behind you so you don't see any reflections or at least a lot less.

Another option would be to put a polarizer lens on your camera.  Even if your camera doesn't have any filter threads (e.g. smartphone) you can at least hold the filter over the camera's lens and turn the filter's ring until the reflections are gone or greatly diminished.

Another option would be to use a cardboard tube long enough to allow the lens to focus on the film.  Paint the interior of the tube black to further reduce reflections.

• 5 days ago

Use a lens hood to make a tube between the box and lens. You need to shade the light falling onto your lens to avoid it showing in the image.

• qrk
    6 days ago

Put a black mask around the negative to block the extraneous light from the light table. When you mask the negative, only the light passing through the negative will be coming through.

Dimming the lights in the room may also be helpful.

• Alan
    6 days ago

One side of the negative film is shiny (glossy). The other side, while not dull has less sheen. You might try flip-flopping. Software can reverse this flipped image. If this does not work, try spraying the negative with hair spray, this will dull the surface and is removable with alcohol. A better way is place a polaroid sunglass lens over the camera lens. Rotate the polaroid sunglass to find an orientation that mitigates the reflection. 

6 days ago

Use a filter on the lens.