Derek asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 4 weeks ago

Is a UHD TV the same as a 4K TV?

I just bought a so-called “4K UHD TV” but browsing on the internet I found out it isn’t the same though it is advertised as it is. What the hell is going on?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Most don't realize it but no.

4K is a misnomer that we are stuck with.  It has to do with the resolution of 3840 pixels by 2160 pixels.  4K is 4096 so it is close to that wide but not 4K.

UHD is the same resolution with one very KEY difference.  HD TV has a resolution of 1920 by 1080 and 256 shades of red, 256 shades of blue, and 256 shades of green per pixel for color.  The human eye can see far more colors than that.  This is known as 8 bit color.  UHD increases this to either 10 bits or 12 for 1024 shades of red or 4096 shades of red.  the Ultra in UHD refers to the increased color pallet.I don't think you can buy a 4K that isn't UHD these days but the difference in how well they are displayed can be large. For LED TV's, look at black levels as they are trying to block 100% of the light but can't.

• David E
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Ignorant but not willing to learn.  Got you pegged.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it is the same.

There are three categories:

Standard definition (SD),

High Definition (HD), and UHD, aka 4k.

• khalil
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

HD tv .... 1080 lines with 1920 pixels per line

UHD or 4K ... 2160 lines with 3840 pixels per line ... in fact, both doubled ( 2x2 = 4) ... or four times the pixels number

• 4 weeks ago

I had the same problem. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Here is the difference for you.there is a small difference. In its correct usage, true 4K refers to a resolution of 4096 x 2160, which was first introduced in digital cinemas. UHD refers to a resolution of 3840 x 2160, which is the resolution you actually get on the TVs you take home.Mar 7, 2019 friend your eye is not going to notice the difference at all in fact the UHD that is shown on the big screen won't look it's good to you as the UHD that you see on your television even though the UHD that you see on your television has slightly less resolution. Because the screen is closer to you and you will perceive its colors and images more clearly then if you were viewing it from a hundred feet away

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

A great answer which I’ve thumbed up but with one minor error. UHD and 4K are identical definition. But as your own answer clearly states, UHD is a slightly less wide format than true 4K. That’s the only reason for the slightly lower total pixel count.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

4K is a standard that covers more than resolution. UHD is slightly lower resolution than 4K. It looks like all 4K TVs are UHD.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.