Why do people say a business degree is useless?

is that 3 to 4 years of studying awful subjects like economics, marketing, accounting not counting for anything?should i just do a certification like apics cause thats more specific cause they got certifications like logistics, inventory, purchasing while the degree program is too broad?Or do you think ill have to do both before i get a job in this line?or would a 2 yr college diploma with certification make more sense?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

A bachelor's degree in business is not useless.  If you want a professional level career in business, a 4 year degree is critical.  If you get some kind of certificate instead, you will most likely be relegated to a paraprofessional position with limited chance for advancement.

Do not think, however, that new graduates start in a fancy office with a huge salary.  One has to work up to that. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Mainly because it is.

• 4 weeks ago

the problem with a bachelor's degree is that so many people have one, it doesn't separate you from The Herd 

supply and demand

• Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; >>>but in works they deny him,<<< being abominable, and disobedient, >>>and unto every good work reprobate<<<. 

Jer 6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I worked in engineering for years and an MBA degree was valued much higher than a masters in engineering.

• 4 weeks ago

Business degrees are not "useless" or "worthless." They are currently a glut on most markets. A degree from a highly regarded university business school, if you are one of the top students, can be very valuable. Mediocrities usually cannot compete when there's a glut on the market.

• juliet
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

It’s because it’s so broad, and the job opportunities are competitive and usually fall for higher degrees/lots of experience. If you’re driven and/or have connections, you’ll be fine.

• 4 weeks ago

I'd say they say that because that is what they think. As to why they think that, you'll have to ask people who say it.

• 4 weeks ago

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's about supply and demand.  No degree from a regionally accredited university is 100 percent worthless.   But if you look at job placement data from institutional research, you'll see that not all degrees are equal.

Business is a popular major and there's tons of graduates.  Getting into the program is pretty easy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.